realestate.com.au outrages price increases

I know the majority of the members here have a buy and hold strategy, but occasionally we see members here put their properties up for sale and majority of sellers like to see their property listed on realestate.com.au. So i thought this article may be of interest as majority of people think it's relatively cheap to advertise on the web. Not with realestate.com.au its not.

up to 45% pa increases

Wow!, your complaining over a pissy little $20/mth increase in advertising. I'm sure that's going to made a HUGH dent in the commission you take when the property finally sells.
You get your commission for selling the house. That's what we pay you for. Your job is to advertise wherever the house has the greatest chance of attracting buyers. Stop compaining about a pissy little $20, when you get thousands in commission.

Wow!, your complaining over a pissy little $20/mth increase in advertising. I'm sure that's going to made a HUGH dent in the commission you take when the property finally sells.
You get your commission for selling the house. That's what we pay you for. Your job is to advertise wherever the house has the greatest chance of attracting buyers. Stop compaining about a pissy little $20, when you get thousands in commission.

Why don't you tell him what you really think?;)

I agree, bit of a bummer for the agents, but, apparently it's the cost of doing business so I have been told , by um, let me see, REA's who manage and have sold for us before when we have negotiated on commissions and fees.

Dave

You are so wrong - it is not $20 per month...

Its $20.00 per property per month increase, so if an agency has 20 properties on re.com it is an increase of $400.00 per month

re.com has also increase the monthly fee by 6.5% as they have been doing every year.

All other cost, special promotions etc have also increased considerably.

All these increases and the site is so slow these days, how long does it take for the pages to load, I use re.com everyday searching, I don't search using the standard 10 properties per page, i like to change the settings to latest listing and 30 per page, this page at times takes 1 minute to load. slow slow slow. (and its not my end)

Its fine for the large REA as most pass on the charges to the vendor, but out here in order to get the listing a lot of time you need to carry the listing at your cost in the hope that someone will come along and buy it.

Its not bleeding heart stuff.. a lot of good agency, decent honest agencies that offer fantastic customer service are doing it really hard ATM.

In good time, when inflation is rising - sure up the rates

Its $20.00 per property per month increase, so if an agency has 20 properties on re.com it is an increase of $400.00 per month

Yes, that's exactly what I said. $20/mth increase in advertising. If the guy has 20 properties, then he is also getting 20 commissions!.

I have no sympathy for the agents. I'm not sure how they can justify their large commissions as it is.

Now back in August you could get a feature property for $75 per month. Now 7 months later the same feature property will have had two prices rises to now be $95 per month. That’s a 26% increase in just 7 months which equates to 45% per annum.

Plus, the story is a bit of sensationalism. The increase is 26%!. You can't extrapolate it out to a year, and say for 12mths it will be 45%. Where is the evidence to show that the price will keep rising.
$75 * 12 = $900 $95*12 = 1140

1140/900 *100 = Wow 26%!!!
Where is your 45%pa increase Mr agent!!

I'm complaining on behalf of the vendor's. Their the ones that pay for the advertising. And it's not the only charge REA have increased, its for nearly every feature they have. Not to mention how slow and clunky their site is because they splash that much advertising on every page. You take a look at an individual listing on REA and see how much advertising is splashed all over the page. My last count it was about 32 adverts on each property page trying to take your attention away from the property, and that vendor now pays extra for. Nice one REA

If any other industry or supplier increased their fees or charges by that much their would be an outrage, it would more than likely be spread all over the media(but who owns REA) so nothing mentioned. It's not the $20/mth its the percentage of the increase pa.

Say for instance your internet service provider increased your monthly subscription by that much over a one year period. I'm sure Investor888, you would not be happy about it at all.

I'm complaining on behalf of the vendor's. Their the ones that pay for the advertising.

Really?:rolleyes: Is that just a Harcourt thing?

LJ Hooker have NEVER charged me for advertising on RE.com or Press.

Other agents have charged for press, but NEVER RE.com

Dave

Dave

Elders Didnt charge me either, 12 weeks on RE.COM & Domain.com plus in print in Property Showcase Magazine, you have the option to pay and get more advertising

As I understand it, the RE.com charges are a monthly subscription fee. There are two levels of subscription and the charges vary based on your location (ie the REA's)

For an eastern suburb REA'y, the charges are ~$540 and ~$940 pcm based on which package you go for.

Common practice is that REA's recoup these costs through letting fees or a negotiated package for advertising when selling. Usually as part of the REA spiel, they will make comments about the costs are $xxx and for this you get the following, and usually re.com, domain.com etc are mentioned as part of their selling strategy.

Where it is itemised I have paid but where there is a one off advertising charge it has been included

For example we were recently selling a property where the market was so slow that it was pointless advertising in the local newspaper. Our only hope was to advertise on RE.com, consequently our charge was purely for internet advertising and was documented as such

In Melbourne we did a large advertising campaign including local newspapers, internet, etc., and it was included in the total price.

Incidentally, we sold the one that was only advertised on RE and the Melbourne one was passed in, so I relet it!!

Chris

No offence to Agents but the commission they make on selling a home in the recent environment has been money for jam. We paid $12k in commission for five open inspections and an auction. Ok there were some documents organized before that but after the sale the conveyancer did all the rest for settlement and only charged$400. And someone told us during one inspection it was quiet so he was sitting reclined in our chair chatting to his wife on the phone. So really $20 a month price increase is probably not a real big deal, is it

its a cost of doin business....

also further note the writer is a twat, its 26% increase, he must be some dumb and bodgy agent who plays with figures...

one f those ones who say purchase is 200k, rent is 200pw so its positive cashflow (rates @ 9%)

lol dumb editor, its a 26% increase, yes harsh, but the agents are saving, re.com is a great tool, and i belive its way too cheap as it is. its cheaper then press, has larger audience, more interactive, and live time uploads, not 2 weeks later appear in paper. i work for newspapers and not re.com, however i see re.com is a great tool,, and has been cheap to get its market shares, now its time for them to make money. its like hyundai and the days of the excel, it was to get the branding out there, now they have more expensive and better quality vehicles. and thats what your paying for.

RE.com.au is a great tool and in my experience works much better than newspapers. although there is still a small minority of clients that look at papers only.

Re-the agents and large commissions. If it was that easy everyone would own a real estate agency and everyone would be a sales agent.

sales jobs are reward based. Large when they get it and not at all when they do not. Commission only jobs are the only ones where people wake up every day unemployed until they find a listing. Great sales people have put in the time to personally develop themselves to a point where they are constantly getting large commissions. I think good on them and have alot of respect for people who are go getters!

investors (myself included) have made millions in capital appreciation and by doing nothing except taking the time to learn to invest.

While most people can only earn a few hundred dollars a week in a mediocre job, some take the time to learn to earn thousands per week, I have a higher respect for people that are going somewhere in life than those that sit down and whinge about others making money!

agents cop a lot of slack from people, it is a rewarding industry, but is very challenging, if anything i feel most sales agents dont earn enough.. they put in lots of effort for avg wages... only a few who earn big bucks $300kpa, but they have many assistants and strong systems in place, like a mirror you only get back what you put into it...

I was an agent for 4 years, had enough of it 3 years ago... i belive agents earn every cent of their commissions, especially if the sell your place in 1 day as most would feel lucky agent ripped me off, they would most likely been conditioning that buyer for many months and built rapport and credibility...

cost of re.com is inevidibly going to rise and probably going to do so, there will always be need for newspapers, and letterbox drops, but re.com is at a point where it has built its pressence and making money im...

Dave

You may have been listed on REA as a standand listing. We list our vendors properties on the featured Listing position, 30 day rotation reverting back to the top, guaranteed top spot & e-brochures.

Last edited:
I have no sympathy for the agents. I'm not sure how they can justify their large commissions as it is.
No offence to Agents but the commission they make on selling a home in the recent environment has been money for jam.
Re-the agents and large commissions. If it was that easy everyone would own a real estate agency and everyone would be a sales agent.
I agree with Xenia. Everybody is paid according to a balance between the need for a service to be provided, and the number of people who are willing and able to provide that service.

Exactly, but my vendor's want their properties listed with all those extra features provided.

So that part of its no different to any other agency, with the exception that you seem to charge for what others provide for free.

Other agencies DO NOT charge for RE.com.

Dave

Back