Realestate.com has officially.....

First impressions are...

It doesn't seem to let me use my saved search with the old default "latest listing" it just shows "most relevant."

It's too busy, it's got too much text scattered around, way too much advertising, too much content they've tried to stuff onto every page...

It's still faster for me than Domain which has always been incredibly slow for me for some reason.

I'll see how I feel about it in a week. Not like I have much choice. /Grumble ;)

Afraid I'm with Nathan.

Not happy Jan !!!

So far I lost:

1. ALL of my "shortlisted" properties (floating in cyberspace) that I had saved. But it seems to have kept about 10 properties I'd deleted weeks ago. Can't remember all the properties, now have to go searching again.

2. Can't use "Blocks of Units". Very unfortunate as that is exactly my main priority at the mo.

3. Searching within an area or city seems to be gone too.

As with all changes, I'll get used to the new re.com but it is sadly lacking in lots of areas.

PS.......I'm sooooo sick of having to change!! I happen to lerve my comfort zone. he he

It started over a year ago in an attempt to make some money as income dropped.
Yep it has sucked bigtime for a while now.
I'm also finding a some agents not using it as much as they used to.
Which means a little more leg work required to find good deals.

I'm another one who doesn't like it. In the old site if a property was sold or under contract it jumped out at you. On the revised site it is really insignificant. Lots of ad's also.

I have also lost a few of my saved properties and gained some that I deleted several weeks ago. How does that work ! :mad:

Never saw the old re.com format, and haven't seen the new format.....so don't know what you are talking about Nathan.

Never saw the old facebook format, and haven't seen the new facebook format.

Somehow, life still goes on. Sounds like IT people fiddling again.

Who's at the end of the chain ?? Who's pocket is all of this supposed increased revenue going to ??

Mate I'm with you.. It sux!
Why fix what ain't broke?

Ditto! It worked fine before they fiddled with it!

I actually quite like it. I'll have to use it for a day and comment more, but on the surface it looks great.

Seriously, the old web site was dated. It had a 2001 look and feel, and I always considered domain.com.au to be a superior design and tended to use it more by default.

Sometimes simpler IS better! So what if it "looked 2001" - it worked!

Working in IT, I get this all the time too. It's only the 5% of "intense" users that btch and moan when an interface is changed. Everyone else accepts it. If the site really and truly is horrendous (ie, bad design, bad decision), then it will be reverted. Missing functionality will eventually be added back in - just complain TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE and stop btching and moaning here. Squeaky wheels get oiled, but only if they go to the mechanic first.

The site would be slow because world+dog are being told "Hey, have you checked out the new realestate.com.au site yet?".

I'm also in IT. And I disagree with your 5% - it's more like 50%, IMHO. And I don't think it's how many complain, but who complains! :p (Maybe 5% are the "power users", but they do 50% of the use!)

Anyway, FWIW, I don't like it - too busy.

Sometimes simpler IS better! So what if it "looked 2001" - it worked!

It's not a matter of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". In this modern age of information - you have to be at the forefront of new technologies. You have to be using AJAX, HTML5, Ruby-on-Rails and a dozen other web 2.0 technologies that I can't be arsed naming to make your product the one people want to use. Look at Facebook vs MySpace. Facebook had a clean design, and reinvented and pushed to the limit what was available and has completely left MySpace for dead.

I'm also in IT. And I disagree with your 5% - it's more like 50%, IMHO. And I don't think it's how many complain, but who complains! :p (Maybe 5% are the "power users", but they do 50% of the use!)

It depends on the business. Public servants would be in an uproar on change because of their mentality - so, yes - it would be 50% in that case. It's the old timers and those who don't like change that make up the 5%.

Anyway, FWIW, I don't like it - too busy.

At least we can agree on something. :)

Yeh I am p'o too because it did not carry any of my saved searches over - I have to start all over again ! next thing I am waiting for is a charge for useage !!!!

I use to look at everything listed in an area each day....eg inner-brisbane which would have about 20-30 suburbs...now i have to manually enter every suburb...

This is a useful feature which will be missed by many people so I hope they bring it back.

The other feature which Nathan mentioned is the ability to display more than 20 results per page so we don't spend all day opening new pages.....

I love the new site - was a bit of a shock at first but when I look closer there are some really cool new features like:
- street level search
- multi search from home page
- finally you can refine by bathrooms (yay!)
- exclude under offer from results
- under the more options you can refine by heaps of stuff
- save open time into calendar
- get normal properties, land and rural all in the one search
- there's a little option on the map search which updates the properties when you move the map (like google). this is really cool
- looks like you can setup a email alert for any search so I suppose you can setup alerts for street searches? and for sold maybe?
- there are heaps more sold properties there as well. Been looking at a place in Lennox st richmond so did the same search in the sold section and got 39 results just for the street!

Looks like the regions are still in there but from the state pages, but i reckon i'll just use that map update option now

Hasta La Vista

Blocks of units gone :( so of course saved properties have now propagated and every single unit for sale in my search criteria comes back as a hit :eek:

And can anyone find the field to enter the Property ID No for a quick specific result, or has that been wiped too? I tried the address, suburb field and didn't work.

Usability seems compromised for now. It may be time for Hasta La Vista :p

Agree with all the comments. Saved searches, shortlists, adprice gone. :mad:

My hands are around its neck - I will give it a few weeks before I decide to drive the stake through its black heart.

I use to look at everything listed in an area each day....eg inner-brisbane which would have about 20-30 suburbs...now i have to manually enter every suburb...it's going to slow me down!

Huh? You can search by 'region' or just type the list of suburbs in once and then it's there for you each time.

Also, Player...
"And can anyone find the field to enter the Property ID No for a quick specific result, or has that been wiped too? I tried the address, suburb field and didn't work."

Just use Google and type 'Property No. 888888888' in the search bar, I used this and it worked no worries. Sure, not as easy as it used to be but ok at a pinch.

To me, it looks like there are more functions on the site today than yesterday (unless I missed them the first time).

Oh its even worse - I had quite a few saved searches - they still send me the emails but they dont exist in my account - so I will never be able to change them just add more - good grief!

I can't seem to delete out the "shortlisted" properties that I cancelled weeks ago!!

AND since I can't remember all my saved properties I put in there on the weekend that have now disappeared, I'm having to kinda long-hand search for them again. Have changed over to Domain.com for the time being. RE.com is giving me the willies!!

And can anyone find the field to enter the Property ID No for a quick specific result, or has that been wiped too? I tried the address, suburb field and didn't work.

property id searches are working fine for me e.g. 106315783 finds the property from the home page.

doesn't look like this is working across all tabs though. I'm sure on the old site you could enter the id in any tab and it would work.

Back