reality check take 2

Reply: 1.1.1.3.1.1.1.2.1.1.3

michael croft, that is the classic statement to end it all. try borrowing money from your bank to invest in it. that's a debate killer. and all that needs to be said. property is king.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 2.1.1

Wife,

I am here to offer a different point of view to the crowd. Call me strange, but I prefer NOT to be around like-minded people. I prefer associating with intelligent people who disagree with me. It expands my comfort zone and I learn a lot more.

By all means, surround yourself with people like yourself. The vast majority of people do, so it MUST be the way to go. I prefer in many instances to go against social proof, politely declining advice from all the "yes-men" out there.

Expand, or stay small.

Eric

Reply: 1.1.1.3.1.1.1.2.1.3

Wife,

Yes, I disagree with you on something. Since you are always correct on everything, I must be insane.

Are all your friends clones of yourself?

Eric

Reply: 2.1.1.1

Eric, please get a life.

Stop kidding yourself - you have no opinions, other than arrogantly
mocking those that successfully do what you're too scared to do. You're
not around like-minded people because they're all institutionalised and
you have managed to hide well. They'll catch you....Big Brother is
watching you...

Cheers,

Dave
:)

Reply: 2.1.1.2

Hi Eric

Like minded people does not mean same minded. I'd be the first to admit that I do not agree with most people on this forum. My values and priorities differ. My strategies mightn't make sense to anyone else. Heck sometimes they hardly make sense to me : )

But there are people on this forum that challenge my ideas. They encourage me to question my own assumptions. They give me the courage to expand my comfort zones. Some are light years ahead of me and I look to them for inspiration and motivation. I do not however want to be exactly like them. I want to be the best me that I can.

I believe that we are like minded in that we share a view that property investment is a powerful investment vehicle. And in this forum we come together to share our experiences, knowledge, views to help each other towards our goals. And along the way we have heaps of fun and enjoy each others company.

Or is that just me?

GoAnna !

Reply: 2.1.1.2.1

nah....that's just you GoAnna !

....hehe - just kidding!

:)

Reply: 2.1.1.2.1.1

Look Guys,

We need to give up on Eric, he just doesn't realise that......'its hard to soar like an eagle if you're surrounded by turkeys'

He might get it one day.

Ruby

Reply: 2.1.1.2.1.1.1

Ruby,

You are right. I don't get it. Perhaps you could explain it to me. Should I stop associating with whom you define as turkeys? If so, how do I identify said people as turkeys?

Seriously, could you please elaborate Ruby.

Eric

Reply: 2.1.1.3

Eric,

You said "I prefer associating with intelligent people who disagree with me. It expands my comfort zone and I learn a lot more."

If you are here to learn, why don't you just ask. By being argumentative you are missing the point that the people on this forum are trying to make. Sure, you don't need to agree with everybody, but why not open up to what people are trying to tell you and then make an informed decision. Question until you are satisfied that you understand the answers and then decide whether it is for you or not. I believe that you'll find this a much more productive way to learn.

Miakat

Reply: 2.1.1.2.2

>And in this forum we come together to share our experiences, knowledge, views
>to help each other towards our goals. And along the way we have heaps of fun and enjoy
>each others company.
>
>Or is that just me?

No, GoAnna, it is not just you. I too enjoy the company of other people on this forum, who certainly have not been arrogant. Quite the contrary, most people on this forum have actually helped me without expectation of being rewarded for it.

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques)

Reply: 2.1.1.2.1.1.2

>We need to give up on Eric, he just doesn't realise that......'its hard to soar
>like an eagle if you're surrounded by turkeys'

Turkey? He's just a chook. A chook I tell you! :)

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques)

Reply: 2.1.1.4

Hi Eric
Other groups that go against social proof are
a)holocaust deniers
b)Flat earth society members
c)people who think man never landed on the moon.
maybe you could spend a bit more time at these websites

Reply: 2.1.1.4.1

Hello to all out there.

I've been following this debate as it's been coined and have some of my own points to make. I know very little about shares and property. I know the basics but not the details.

As has been pointed out many of you guys are bagging shares, I question your ability to make such "educated" statements. I purchased 400 Telstra 2 shares, my theory at the time was along the lines of, "it's better than having my savings in the bank". I didn't follow the prices I just assumed I'd made a good choice and that was that. At one time I could have sold for a gross profit of 300-400 dollars...within a short time frame. If I sell today I lose that much. Does that make shares bad or risky? Or did I succesfully mismanage the whole thing? The educated share investor would cringe at my approach, but it is the approach of all the people I personally know who have dealt with shares. They just bought because the tv/papers seemed to think it was a good deal. I look forward to learning about options and warrants and all that stuff. Trailing losses, puts, stops...I'm only saying the terms, I don't fully understand them as yet. I feel it's to your own detriment to believe because one vehicle is not as good as another then it should be ignored. Especially if you can admit to yourself you know very little about it. Should my dealings with shares be a good way to asses the risk of shares? I could paint a grim picture to friends and family if I so chose..."I lost 100's of dollars on telstra, you would have thought that was a safe bet, don't waste your money on shares" the reality is when looked at I could have MADE that money, or I could have had measures to protect against losses...anyone have house insurance, if your tenant trashes the place do you lose it all, a portion, or can it even be turned around in your favour?

Anyway before I sell this to a short (long) story magazine I should make some quick points.

Don't limit your ability to make money from something that other people make money from.

Don't think because someone lost money on a particular endeavor that no one made money from it...someone sold me the shares!

Seek and you shall find...don't and you wont.

Someone tell me how to make some money, because that's what I'm here for :)

Thanks for listening.

Dru

Reply: 2.1.1.4.1.1

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your post on this forum. Good on you for looking at all options.

My theory is that if conventional wisdom worked then the masses would be rich. Given that is not the case, I tend to do the opposite of what everybody thinks is a good idea.

Therefore I find something that works and I focus on it. Diversification without wealth leads to pathetic returns.

I tend to put all my eggs in one basket... and then watch that basket like a hawk.

Dreamspinner

Back