Really difficult tenants--any advice?

Grumpy. It's not unreasonable to find out legal entitlements/requirements/responsibilities until the need arises. This is the first time in more than 30 years I have found myself in a position where I would like some difficult tenants out.

Yes this part is true. So stick to doing that and maybe avoid the commentary on residential tenancy laws when you haven't really used them yet.

If you actually want from help from an expert, PM me sometime.

I know. And the problem is that the ACAT would see it as 'retaliatory' if I were to give the 26 weeks notice. I don't know how the laws became so skewed in favour of tenants. As a landlord, I have very few rights.

I've stopped investing in residential these days. As another forum member used to say, they're albatrosses.

The only residential I'd be interested in is if it's grossly undervalued and I can flip it for 20-30%+ in 2 months.

You need to set boundaries at the beginning.

We had a new tenant move into one of our properties yesterday.
Today I receive an email, stating there seems to be 2 window screens missing, and then proceeds to tell us when she will be home, so we can 'swing by'.

I respond by stating they don't have any screens..and sorry.

She replies..oh,ok..thanks anyways.

All new tenants will 'try you on'
anything that needs repaired, will be
Wants...will be ignored.

Agreed. Its simple a power play. My neighbour once agreed to change working lights from warm white to daylight... then the requests started coming.

This is where it pays have a good PM. One that knows how to play good cop bad cop. Then again, a good PM would have also filtered out these "professional" renters to begin with.

Cautionary tale with a silver lining

I use a contract that I make the property manager sign. If you be a hard **** with the property manager she never would have put that tenant in. You're definitely NOT required to put in flooring FFS. seriously...
BUT the silver lining is that you will be able to up the rent when you get them out because of all the improvements you've done.

watch this video - may help you get more of a handle on managing your property manager so next time you wont get into this situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfR2hIlDnHE

Oh - and on getting them out... if it starts to be a problem you can either evict them or (one time I had a tenant who was terrible but wouldn't leave) tell them you are going to come back on saturday and if they are all moved out you will have $1000 for them in cash to move on. If not... legal Eviction.
It'll cost you the same amount but the first way is quicker and just allows you to get your place back and move on.

I want to thank you all for your advice and contributions. My new PM (which I found through Somersoft) spent two hours with the tenants. I am very happy with the outcome. Let's hope things continue to go well. It's amazing what a good PM can achieve.:)

Was the outcome that they are leaving, or that they agreed in writing to the carpet replacement etc, plus agreed not to be *******s in the future...?

Hobo: they have agreed to pay rent. They have accepted no temp control on the hot water system. I do not have to get the ducted heating system replaced. It is on the record that the carpet has to be re-laid. They are now aware that private rentals do not work like DHA.

I've stopped investing in residential these days. As another forum member used to say, they're albatrosses.

The only residential I'd be interested in is if it's grossly undervalued and I can flip it for 20-30%+ in 2 months.

so what do you invest in? commercial?
I heard the rental return is better
BUT I have seen many, many shops lie empty for years, literally. eg paddington in sydney.
that has scared me off.

BUT I have seen many, many shops lie empty for years, literally. eg paddington in sydney.
that has scared me off.

I agree. I have seen so many commercial rentals vacant for years.

that has scared me off.

I agree. I have seen so many commercial rentals vacant for years.

My works previous landlord was desperate for tenants at the time the lease was signed (early 1990s) that my work got the first 8 years rent free on the lease, just had to pay outgoings. Their theory was a tenant paying outgoing is better than no tenant.

PG, it does sound as if things are on the improve, which is good news. After many years in this business, I will say that the good story's by far outweigh the bad ones. Yes we have a few members and I personally know a few people who have done extraordinarily well out of Commercial property. I take my hat off to them. They have developed some great skills, no doubt some may have come from the university of hard knocks, and are now enjoying some well deserved fruits.

A lot of kids get into soccer at a young age, how many become a Beckham.

We all start out on the soccer journey of investing in property. Each type, has its ups and downs. Residential has a lot of ups, in the low cost entry etc, as well as a host of other ones. Non residential is a very different kettle of fish.

There are a lot of people who have done very well out of investing in residential property. I know, as some of our landlords ... well enough said.

Don't let one bad experience destroy your plans, perhaps with this experience, you are now so much wiser.

Forgive me for adding, somewhat self serving, I think this does contribute to the debate, all PM's are the same .... not !

Hobo: they have agreed to pay rent. They have accepted no temp control on the hot water system. I do not have to get the ducted heating system replaced. It is on the record that the carpet has to be re-laid. They are now aware that private rentals do not work like DHA.

Sounds like a step in the right direction - hopefully all will go smoothly from here. Best of luck!

Back