Rear Lot Subdivision

Hello all,
We've got a property in inner-city melbourne which we'd like to subdivide into two. The property has front street access as well as rear laneway access. So the idea is to keep the existing dwelling at the front, and put a new unit at the rear. As the lot is quite narrow (est 7m), we want to have the rear unit built boundary to boundary. The question is:- do we need to create an easement through the rear unit for the front dwelling for stormwater and sewerage? The existing discharge point is at the rear. If so, it would pretty much kill off this idea!
Thanks for your help everybody!
V

Hello all,
We've got a property in inner-city melbourne which we'd like to subdivide into two. The property has front street access as well as rear laneway access. So the idea is to keep the existing dwelling at the front, and put a new unit at the rear. As the lot is quite narrow (est 7m), we want to have the rear unit built boundary to boundary. The question is:- do we need to create an easement through the rear unit for the front dwelling for stormwater and sewerage? The existing discharge point is at the rear. If so, it would pretty much kill off this idea!
Thanks for your help everybody!
V

Hi Red_Viola,

The creation of an easement is generally planned out during the planning/building permit process. I am interested to understand why you have a concern about a creation of an easement post development?

Naturally, workers may require access, but this is a low chance and the planning should cater for this...

Hi Red_Viola,

The creation of an easement is generally planned out during the planning/building permit process. I am interested to understand why you have a concern about a creation of an easement post development?

Naturally, workers may require access, but this is a low chance and the planning should cater for this...

thanks. Our concern is whether a strip of land going through the length of the rear subdivision will be required for an easement for stormwater/sewerage connection for the front dwelling. this would mean we wouldn't be able to build the rear unit boundary to boundary. I hope this makes sense?

I would consult a town planner for a feasibility meeting.
They would be upfront with that knowledge and usually don't charge for that initial meeting.
Boundary to boundary is a tough one and depends on the area, etc - my initial thoughts are that usually is is not seen in a subdivision as there are strict rules about private open spaces(pos), over shadowing, even into the pos and actual design.

You will build the stormwater under the new dwelling at the back. This is just a general building risk that needs to be taken. No real issue with it, as these pipes will last for over a century.

As the pipes from unit 1 will be going through land on another title, an "as built" easement will be created. This is not an issue and must be done.

The main issue will be getting Yarra Valley Water to agree to it, which in the circumstances you described is not an issue.

I'd be more concerned about getting the town planning approval first, then these matters will tend to sort themselves out.

Haas Kaplan

Thanks for your input.. that was very helpful :)

We tried to contact Yarra V Water for some clarification but was passed on from one person to another, and then finally was told we'd need to make an application for assessment...hmmm...

As Tigerboy has suggested, I think we are going to go see the local council first to see what they think about our proposal. We'll see if we need to get a town-planner then.

Thanks for your input.. that was very helpful :)

We tried to contact Yarra V Water for some clarification but was passed on from one person to another, and then finally was told we'd need to make an application for assessment...hmmm...

As Tigerboy has suggested, I think we are going to go see the local council first to see what they think about our proposal. We'll see if we need to get a town-planner then.

There is a lot you can discuss with the duty planner at your local council, but my advice is if you are serious about developing don't penny pinch on advice with local experts. If you expect to get others to do all the due diligence and risk manage out every aspect of your site without any fees you will get poor advice. Paying a local town planner/surveyor/architect for 1-2 hours of their time, even if they charge big rates will be a small investment in the scheme of things.

Back