reasonable legal fees

Is $2k reasonable for a simple straight forward property transaction? i.e. there are no issues, special requests, amending contracts, etc. In fact, I haven't even seen the lawyer face to face. Here is a break down of what my lawyer said she's going to charge me. My friends seem to think it's excessive and said this lawyer is trying to rip me off as I am a newbie.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 186
Definately expensive, the legal fees (without disbursements) of $1,353 is quite high. Would normally expect this to be about $500 - $700 if using a solicitor, then add disbursements on top of that. My last transaction cost about $800 including disbursements.

Very expensive. Would expect conveyencing to cost between $750-$1000 here in canberra with a solicitor.

If you haven't already employed her services, move on. If you have... I guess you could try to talk it down, but I wouldn't like your chances - Learn from this, and ALWAYS ask for an estimation of costs before you use a solicitor for ANYTHING.

She said she has done 3 hours of work for me and would charge me $1200 if I decide to switch to anther firm now!!?? Definitely won't come back again.

I also got charged fees like this, $1900 but was quoted around $1200. They were the worst solicitors you could ever imagine, very rude and they seemed to be very unfamiliar with property purchases. Each time I asked a simple question it turned into a big scenario and they would do searches etc. The whole thing was like a circus. They are on Bronte Rd, Bondi Junction and I made a big mistake to use them and once I signed for them to start then that was when all the rudeness and problems started. I sure will shop around next time and find someone that I feel confident with and that make it clear on the price.

Is $2k reasonable for a simple straight forward property transaction? i.e. there are no issues, special requests, amending contracts, etc.

I notice that there is a mention of a caveat. Doesn't sound like a straight forward transaction. Could be why the costs are higher.

Sunshine

I notice that there is a mention of a caveat. Doesn't sound like a straight forward transaction. Could be why the costs are higher.

Sunshine

Nah, there is no caveat on the title. The lawyer won't even speak with me now. Her assistant said they are lodging a caveat on the title since I have pay 10% deposit. They said this is to secure my interest?? I get the feeling these fuxkers are trying to create a big fuss over every little thing and hit me with a massive fee. I really want to disclose who they are. Better not to say anything now, in case they accidently read this tread and decide to fuxk my settlement up.

Anyone care to recommend a solicitor somewhere between Sydney and Newcastle? Best I've got thus far is $1100+GST+disbursements.

Cheers
Greg

I'm currently using this guy for settlement on a new property, he is pretty good and well priced.

http://www.murphycosolicitors.com.au/services.html

I'm using a different solicitor to sell another property (previous PPoR) and he charged me $1,500 all up (which included disbursements). He was okay, but these are straight forward transactions, so I'd rather save the $600 :)

I've used the same conveyancer 6 times (damn that sounds like a lot) and given that this is over a 10 year period, their fees have just slowly slid up from $300 to $350, plus disbersements, plus searches, plus GST - the first time was pre-GST. The time of year you buy can make the disbursements vary a lot, we bought one day before the end of the financial year last year and had about $5 in disbersements :cool:

I've been very, very happy with their service every time now too, and only been into their office once.

I have noticed that conveyancing charges do vary from state to state, with NSW being at the higher end. $2k is significantly more than what I've seen in most NSW deals though.

The part about a caveat to protect your interests doesn't sound right.

I think that is pretty reasonable. It includes GST, dispersements and the lodging of a caveat as well as their legal fees. $250 for the mortgage - not sure what this extra bit is - maybe they are providing legal advice in relation to this.

The lodging of a caveat is to protect the buyer's interest after exchange in case someone else were to execute a writ on the property before settlement. Probably most solicitors wouldn't do this, but it is recomended after the Black v Garnock case where the purchaser lost their priority because a caveat wasn't lodged.

I also got charged fees like this, $1900 but was quoted around $1200. They were the worst solicitors you could ever imagine, very rude and they seemed to be very unfamiliar with property purchases. Each time I asked a simple question it turned into a big scenario and they would do searches etc. The whole thing was like a circus. They are on Bronte Rd, Bondi Junction and I made a big mistake to use them and once I signed for them to start then that was when all the rudeness and problems started. I sure will shop around next time and find someone that I feel confident with and that make it clear on the price.

Exactly! Mine was all nice when we first spoke on the phone. I recall she telling me cost would be roughly $1k. All hell broke loose after I signed for them. Wouldn't reply emails or return calls. She asked the vendor to delay settlement and make unnecessary changes to clauses WITHOUT my permission. The agent and I both get the feeling that she's trying all she can to muck up the sale. Agent said he had worked with her last year and she made things so complicated that the seller sold to someone else for 20k less. Agent seems to think she's trying to generate business - stuff up the buyers' sales so they'll revisit again.

I'm in Victoria Melbourne and I usually use Anthony Coleman (Melbourne) for my property transactions. He's very good and reasonable price. If the property is in Victoria I would recommend him.

I would advice against using pure conveyancers that are not lawyers, because I used conveyancers in the past a few times and they seem very weak when comes time to negotiate with the other party or bank's lawyers/solicitors. Example, when there is a delay in settlement which is not your fault, your conveyancer(who is not a lawyer) could be pushed by the bank and other party's lawyers to make you bear the burden of penalties.
I always use a lawyer for settlement after that.

i've used "all about conveyancing" at taree for around 10 years - never met them although they have performed around a dozen purchase transactions for me and are very very one the ball.

costs around $1000 all up.

the thing to remember about solicitors is that they charge by the minute rather than by the job. i got caught up with this during a sitution where the solicitor would engage me in small chat, so i chatted back ... until after i got the bill and realised she was just being friendly to keep me on the line and charge me more!

Regional Vic cities here, up to the $600 per conveyance, I do get a discounted fee for multiple business with the legal eagles. No cost for talking and asking my questions or anything.

Back