Reasonable Reason/Prices for Lock Change

Hi guys,

I just got a new tenant moved into my first property its the first time I've had a lock change requested by my rentmal manager. The rationale is that its a ground floor unit and the locks haven't been changed for a while... Also there is no double lock and its a ground floor unit:

The quote is as follows, what do you guys think on the price and the reason?

"As our telephone conversation before.
lock for window is $ 30 each( 4 windows)= 120
change lock on front door ( top and bottom) =60
and service call $ 55
Total $ 235
"

Thanks in advance as always.

Hi Sonic

Changing the combination of the lock - but not necessarily the actual lock - is something I do every couple of years for each property.

I do this immediately after settlement and have every lock keyed alike. Usually the only locks not keyed alike are the garage door locks (tiltadoor, rolladoor) as these are specific turn over keys, not turn tumbler keys.

The locksmith cleans, greases and reassembles the locks so that they move smoothly. There is always one door which doesn't seem to be keyed very much, and this lock is invariably dry and stiff to key. By having all the locks serviced it prolongs the life of the lock and means doors don't have to be slammed to shut.

What you have been quoted seems reasonable. I get numerous keys cut while the locksmith is there - the property manager, you, and two for the tenants, so at least four sets including garage or shed keys. The window keys will all be the same, anyway.

By having just the one key, if two keys come back at the end of the rental, you know that someone has either added a lock without telling you (I have ended up with deadlocks, sliding door locks, etc all without my permission and not keyed alike) or changed the combination, again without telling you.

Most insurance policies now request all doors and opening windows to have locks, not just catches, and it gives peace of mind to your tenants, too. Plus the cost is, of course, a deductible expense.

Cheers

Kristine

Hi, Kristine. Slightly off topic but is it normal for the owner to have a set of keys even though a PM is used? I've never had keys to any of my IPs, and have never been asked whether I wanted a set.
Alex

Kristine.. said:
Hi Sonic

Changing the combination of the lock - but not necessarily the actual lock - is something I do every couple of years for each property.

I do this immediately after settlement and have every lock keyed alike. Usually the only locks not keyed alike are the garage door locks (tiltadoor, rolladoor) as these are specific turn over keys, not turn tumbler keys.

The locksmith cleans, greases and reassembles the locks so that they move smoothly. There is always one door which doesn't seem to be keyed very much, and this lock is invariably dry and stiff to key. By having all the locks serviced it prolongs the life of the lock and means doors don't have to be slammed to shut.

What you have been quoted seems reasonable. I get numerous keys cut while the locksmith is there - the property manager, you, and two for the tenants, so at least four sets including garage or shed keys. The window keys will all be the same, anyway.

By having just the one key, if two keys come back at the end of the rental, you know that someone has either added a lock without telling you (I have ended up with deadlocks, sliding door locks, etc all without my permission and not keyed alike) or changed the combination, again without telling you.

Most insurance policies now request all doors and opening windows to have locks, not just catches, and it gives peace of mind to your tenants, too. Plus the cost is, of course, a deductible expense.

Cheers

Kristine

Thanks Kristine, very informative answer.

Cheers

Tim

Hi alexlee

We always keep a set on a 'just in case' basis.

Apart from anything else, it means that we can access the properties for maintenance in-between tenants without taking the keys from the agent, so not holding them up with inspections.

We do some of the maintenance - and this week I have two gardens to attend to although have not organised power as yet, and a settlement on Thursday. For most vacancies I also have the power connected while the place is vacant. This is for cleaning and cups of tea, and also to keep the heating and lights operational for after dark inspections.

I once had new carpet laid using the next door neighbour's power with an extension lead draped over the fence. Apart from the health & safety aspects, it cost me more in chocolates and flowers than if I had simply connected the power from the start!

So the short answer is yes, a spare set of keys comes in mighty handy

Cheers

Kristine

We always have a set of keys for the just in case.
A tenant has just vacated an ip here in the West.He had the gas meter read and now the gas is turned off with a notice attached to it saying only Alinta can turn it back on.I didnt know that happened.
Kristine does it cost as much to change a locks combination and have new keys cut as it does to just buy new locks?
cheers yadreamin

Hi yadreamin

No, and most locks are good for many years, plus when you take into account the breaking of the paint seal around the fittings, striker plates not lining up, etc so simply the maintenance and reconfiguration of the locks is all that is needed most of the time.

Of course, sometimes if people have fitted cheap locks which can't be keyed alike, we will have those locks changed, but mostly the R&M is all that is needed. It's much cheaper and quicker, and I always use the same locksmith for all the properties. In fact, sometimes I haven't even been there, he can always let himself in! My son's car was broken into once, and Andrew came around and changed the car locks, too, and cut new keys. He also carries replacement handsets and deadlocks and other bits & pieces, so if we do decide to replace something - like the passage set we discovered on one external door (!!!) he just does it and we move on.

Locksmiths must be registered and have regular Police checks. I have used the same locksmith now for about ten years and so far Andrew has always made time to do the job almost immediately, done a good and thorough job, cleaned up after himself, and charged modestly. A good 'Tradie' is a treasure to be valued!

Cheers

Kristine

units4me said:
I always thought that if the tennants wanted locks changed, they could, at their own expense though.

The landlord's obligations are to provide a SAFE and clean environment. If you rented a car would you expect to be paying for the locks???

They should always be changed in between tenants, not forced by law, but morally!!!

Xenia said:
They should always be changed in between tenants, not forced by law, but morally!!!

No way.. what a nightmare. I dont do it and feel no moral obligation to do it.. especially if the previous Tenant has left on good terms..

On the few occasions when I've evicted tenants I've changed the locks as part of the eviction process.

Xenia said:

Unnecessary expense IMHO. I've never changed any of my locks.
If the tenants want to change them at their expense, fine as long as I get a set.

Cheers
Mike

change of locks

We change our locks and door furniture, when we do a renovation.
When we do have a set, we certainly hand them over to the PM
and try not to keep them unless we self manage.

Too many keys........Geez, I've got folders, photos, bills and enough info to store without tagging keys and keeping them for a once or twice a year visit.

Access legally isn't allow without the PM, whilst the peoperty is rented
and if we are going during a vacancy a $3.00 copy is much easier.

Costs quote seem reasonable enough Sonic

Back