Recommendation for financial planner in Brisbane

Hi all

I want to give my current financial planner the flick. He is nice enough but I don't think he understands the IP world as much as I would like and I get the distinct feeling he is trying to push me into strategies that pay a nice commission for him but aren't conducive to our long term plans (e.g. recommending that we pay down our PPOR debt to redraw to invest in managed funds - when he knows full well we intend to convert the PPOR to an IP in a few years time).

So - can anyone recommend a new one for me? I have a few criteria:
- A good knowledge of the IP world and property investment strategies, but also a willingness to combine this with other strategies (e.g. shares).
- I prefer to deal face to face, so they will need to be in Brisbane (ideally north side but I'll travel for someone good).
- Knowledgeable and honest!!

Thanks

- A good knowledge of the IP world and property investment strategies, but also a willingness to combine this with other strategies (e.g. shares).

How do you plan on paying the planner? If they recommend IPs, how do you expect them to get paid? Are you willing to pay them a % of your assets every year?

There's nothing wrong with paying down your PPOR and then redraw to buy investment funds. Did you specifically say you plan on saving the money in an offset and use that as a deposit for a future PPOR? In which case, you don't have much extra cash anyway so what do you expect them to do?

Another way is to choose specific areas you get FP advice for: e.g. you handle the property side yourself, get an accountant and lawyer to advise on tax and structures, and get the FP to advise on shares, funds and insurance.

How do you plan on paying the planner? If they recommend IPs, how do you expect them to get paid? Are you willing to pay them a % of your assets every year?

There's nothing wrong with paying down your PPOR and then redraw to buy investment funds. Did you specifically say you plan on saving the money in an offset and use that as a deposit for a future PPOR? In which case, you don't have much extra cash anyway so what do you expect them to do?

Another way is to choose specific areas you get FP advice for: e.g. you handle the property side yourself, get an accountant and lawyer to advise on tax and structures, and get the FP to advise on shares, funds and insurance.

I'm not looking for advice on buying IPs directly, I'm after financial advice that can take into account and/or be based on IP strategies. Therefore, the Adviser will be paid in the standard manner, for development of a Statement of Advice and the associated implementation/management if necessary. BUT the advice in this Statement of Advice must take into account and reflect IP strategies running concurrently.

The advice that you have just provided is precisely the reason why I am looking for an adviser with a good knowledge of IP. I'm fully aware of the fact that it is possible to pay down the PPOR and redraw the funds, but I'm more concerned about the future tax implications when the PPOR becomes an IP. In the scenario you describe, I'd be setting myself up for future grief (which is what my current FP fails to realise).

Dont bother with an FP

It sounds like you have the IP part down pat. The loans, numbers and structures you can get from a mortgage broker, accountant and lawyer. The shares are easy enough to learn about.

Back