Recommendation for good motivation course for wife

I am finding it hard to get my wife to be involved in property investment. For some reason, she just doesn't have the interest. Maybe she doesn't have the time (work fulltime with 2 young kids) or maybe she doesn't have the mindset. I started by reading books. However, I doubt she will read any books regarding property investment

I am thinking to take her to one of those motivation seminars. Question is, has anyone been in the same boat before and what was your plan? Also, any good seminar to recommend? It doesn't have to be property related

Just remember, if she doesn't have any interest, don't force it on her.
She may be happy to allow you to make the decisions, and just be kept informed.

If she works fulltime and also has two young kids, she probably doesn't have a minute to herself. Give it a few years and when the kids get older and she has a bit more available time she might have more interest.

I dont think any forced motivations work, at least not in a not-going-to-strangle-you way
Do yours, and taker her for the ride, her motivation may come
it also may not

Motivation Course

Your wife just may not be interested and could well resist your encouragement. Your success will be proof enough and she will absorb a lot by your actions around property. Give it time.

Leave your wife be! Trying to force the issue will only bring hardship to your marriage. You will find most couples have one partner that is more involved than the other.

For instance, when we started, I was the driving force. Hubby went along with it because he always supports the crazy ideas that his wife has.:D I'd drag him along to look at endless properties, and he would tolerate it. He'd even make supportive noises, but in all honesty, he wasn't that interested. When it came time for finance, I'd wave the paperwork under his nose & he'd sign on the dotted lines.

After a while, when he could see that the properties were growing and rents were rising, he became very interested. In fact, so much so, that I created a monster, but the problem is that he now wants to buy everything. If I drag him along to auctions or open homes, he's not happy if we have no intention of buying.:(

My wife is not nearly as comfortable with property investment as myself, and finds the idea of debt especially uncomfortable. She has come along the ride very uncomfortably. In doing so she has provided a counter balance to my enthusiasm, especially after some of the mistakes I've made. Anything I want to do now, I have to completely justify, which makes me stop and think carefully about any decisions.

If she lets you do what you want (if property investing is a passion of yours) I would let it be. You never know, she may cease all your operations if she really finds out how risky it is hahaha:D

Thanks for the inputs guys. As geoffw said, sometimes I found her lack of enthusiasim actually helps because it made stop and had another thought. Glad that I am not the only person in this situation

Leave your wife be! Trying to force the issue will only bring hardship to your marriage. You will find most couples have one partner that is more involved than the other.

For instance, when we started, I was the driving force. Hubby went along with it because he always supports the crazy ideas that his wife has.:D I'd drag him along to look at endless properties, and he would tolerate it. He'd even make supportive noises, but in all honesty, he wasn't that interested. When it came time for finance, I'd wave the paperwork under his nose & he'd sign on the dotted lines.

After a while, when he could see that the properties were growing and rents were rising, he became very interested. In fact, so much so, that I created a monster, but the problem is that he now wants to buy everything. If I drag him along to auctions or open homes, he's not happy if we have no intention of buying.:(

This is pretty much how we were (and still are). Twice that I recall, I phoned hubby on mobile with "there is a fax coming through, a contract, could you please sign it and fax it back?" to which he would reply "what are we buying now?".

What a trusting man :D:p.

Hi imbi3,

Some good advice above.

Also,sit down with her and watch the movie 'money pit' starring tom hanks and shelley long.:p

Cheers Spades.

LOL

Sounding like a broken record, I'd agree with the above statements.

My ex had zero interest in real estate. Her dad gave her a 1 page flyer, which sat on her desk for months, unread.

2 years later, she has called me twice out of the blue to chat about property (just property). As she is now at a point in her life where it makes sense to her to invest.

So give it time, maybe she won't come around, maybe she will. Everybody has their own journey and interests.

I am finding it hard to get my wife to be involved in property investment. For some reason, she just doesn't have the interest. Maybe she doesn't have the time (work fulltime with 2 young kids) or maybe she doesn't have the mindset. I started by reading books. However, I doubt she will read any books regarding property investment

I am thinking to take her to one of those motivation seminars. Question is, has anyone been in the same boat before and what was your plan? Also, any good seminar to recommend? It doesn't have to be property related
When we first started on the investing trail, it was me who was the annoying religious zealot about it all...constantly reading at the expense of all else, all I could talk about was property etc...had to keep checking myself and pull my head in.

It wasn't until we actually had our first IP about a year later that the wife started to get the stirrings of interest.

Now we are on the same page.

Sounds like you're writing about my situation too!! (although I haven't got to the second stage yet...)

I think it depends on whether your significant others are resisting you doing it, or it just doesn't interest them at the time.

My husband and I have completely different views on investing. For that reason we have separate finances and both do our own thing. Luckily it works for us, can imagine it wouldn't for everyone.

Back