Recommendation for Insurance Lawyer

Does anyone know an experienced lawyer in Sydney who deals with insurance related matters? (e.g. Home insurance, landlord insurance)

I have a few specific questions regarding my insurance policy, in particular the definition of "duty of disclosure". It seems that insurance companies define the term as anything and everything a landlord knows that could be of interest to the insurer. However, after "painfully" digging through court case archives on the Australasian Legal Information Institute website, it seems that court limits it to the questions that an insurer asks during application.

Having tried to contact Law Access, Insurance Law Service and the Law Society for referrals but without much success. They kept giving me another number to call and I was being passed around like a football :(

As the saying goes...the most expensive advise is free advise. I'm more than happy to pay for the initial consultation. However, the problem is finding the right adviser.

If you know anyone who could be of help, your referrals is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Lei

Does anyone know an experienced lawyer in Sydney who deals with insurance related matters? (e.g. Home insurance, landlord insurance)

I have a few specific questions regarding my insurance policy, in particular the definition of "duty of disclosure". It seems that insurance companies define the term as anything and everything a landlord knows that could be of interest to the insurer. However, after "painfully" digging through court case archives on the Australasian Legal Information Institute website, it seems that court limits it to the questions that an insurer asks during application.

Having tried to contact Law Access, Insurance Law Service and the Law Society for referrals but without much success. They kept giving me another number to call and I was being passed around like a football :(

As the saying goes...the most expensive advise is free advise. I'm more than happy to pay for the initial consultation. However, the problem is finding the right adviser.

If you know anyone who could be of help, your referrals is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
Lei

The insurers don't define the term. It is set out pretty clearly in the Act at S21:

(1) Subject to this Act, an insured has a duty to disclose to the insurer, before the relevant contract of insurance is entered into, every matter that is known to the insured, being a matter that:

(a) the insured knows to be a matter relevant to the decision of the insurer whether to accept the risk and, if so, on what terms; or

(b) a reasonable person in the circumstances could be expected to know to be a matter so relevant

You might want to refine your Austlii search criteria. Search on "duty of disclosure" and you'll find plenty

Here's an example.

What did you fail to tell them?

Usually it means the very thing you don't want to tell them because they will either refuse to insure you or charge a higher premium.
Marg

What did you fail to tell them?

To help cover the mortgage I'm leasing out the individual rooms. I've told my insurance broker the arrangement and he said that's fine and got me a landlord insurance.

I'm a bit iffy about that. Since I don't have a recording of what I told the broker over the phone and there is no questions on the application asking me whether I intend to sublease, maybe after so many years and paying the premiums promptly, the insurer may turnaround and say I did not fully disclose my situation.

Back