recommendation needed on paint primer/undercoat for fibro walls of shower.

Hi

Appreciate any help from the painting pros who know the best primer or undercoat for fibro walls in a shower. In due course I will probably fix some kind of sheeting over the top of the fibro but for now I want to repaint. I have attached a couple of photos of the patterned fibro used in the bathroom - circa 1973. (this is when I first bought place - looks much better now )

The rest of the bathroom walls I painted with Resene Smooth Surface Sealer paint (as recommended by a somone on the forum) and top coated with semi gloss Dulux 101. As much as I was tempted to use the same sealer on the shower walls I used the recommended undercoat for White Knight Tile paint which I was going to use..

I very diligently cleaned all the scum off the walls and rubbed back with wet and dry 120 (wet) to really cut through anything that was left and as thorough as if I was about to spray paint a panel on a car, then cleaned with sugar soap (I did not use White Knight cleaner as I had heard sugar soap was identical). The finish was brilliant, but after a year some paint lifted where the soap holder was draining onto the wall (since replaced). As hard as I tried to feather the edge before repainting that section, the edge kept disintegrating and exposing a new edge. In the end I just painted over the top the best I could.

Three years since originally painting there are now a few more spots lifting and I need to repaint shower walls. I will either rub back and paint over existing paint or strip back with paint stripper and scrape off (yes it is fibro, but what I will be scarping off will be gel)

What would be the best primer undercoat to use so that the paint sticks to the fibro to the point where an edge could be feathered. Or is this not possible as I am suspecting because I could not prepare the wall any better! I would still use the White Night Tile paint top coat again as it rolled out to almost a top quality spray finish - unless you know a better paint which will tolerate the shower conditions. If I do strip back what stripper would you recommend - a powder coated aluminium framed glass panel and door butts to the walls and sealed with silicon which will also be an obstacle. What do you use to mask up that will not be affected by the paint stripper.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• bathroom before .jpg
    bathroom before .jpg
    110 KB · Views: 383
  • patterned fibro on bathroom walls.jpg
    patterned fibro on bathroom walls.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 365
Hi,
Well, I think you are on the right track. White Knight has been around for a long time now and one of those products that has stood the test of time.
The sanding is a good idea also. Resene are definately a good quality paint. I used to use the cheaper brands, but after painting with Resene, would now not go back. The coverage is so much better.
Probably the only other thing I would add, is in a bathroom avoid using a low sheen paint, and use a semi gloss. Some say this can look old fashioned, but the glossy finish does prevent staining and is a little easeir to clean.

All the best,
Cheers

Back