Recommendations for Financial Advisors in Sydney

Hi. I'm looking at buying an investment property. Read numerous books, sat on domain etc for months but am thinking I should just get a financial advisor. I'm not particularly interested in spending my spare time number crunching, nor endlessly keeping up-to-date with new regulations etc.

Can anyone recommend Financial Advisors with an interest in property investment?

Thanks!

Probably buyers agent would be your best bet. Just do a search in this site for recommendations; this section of the forum is more about where you'd buy a property (location).

Probably buyers agent would be your best bet. Just do a search in this site for recommendations;

Thanks for the recommendation to BAs in general Icarus......but BAs are not licenced to give financial advice ......except that it is of a general nature only :)

Financial advisors tend to recommend shares / managed funds because they are paid a commission for doing so... so going to a financial advisor may mean that they try to steer you away from buying an IP.

What kind of number crunching are you talking about? A mortgage broker often can help you do the figures etc. Alternatively, kick off your shoes at Somersoft, make yourself at home, and learn lots from people here :D

Financial advisors tend to recommend shares / managed funds because they are paid a commission for doing so... so going to a financial advisor may mean that they try to steer you away from buying an IP.

Just a thought;

It's funny, how when people ask for a financial advisor to help them invest, people turn them away from the idea because financial planners earn a commission from selling equity products instead of property. Ok, fair enough.

Yet a buyers agent or mortgage broker is a suitable recommendation, because they'll recommend that you invest in property... even though they pick up a commission for doing so (but don't, if you decide to buy equities instead).

Hi JGG

I suppose thats because the FP is licensed to provide advice and can actually recommend the client does paper based or real investments.

The buyers agent and broker can legally do neither

ta
rolf

I hear Storm Financial are pretty good and have your best interests at heart.

If you want to offload the responsibility and decision making to someone else maybe PI is not for you.

It's funny, how when people ask for a financial advisor to help them invest, people turn them away from the idea because financial planners earn a commission from selling equity products instead of property. Ok, fair enough.

Yet a buyers agent or mortgage broker is a suitable recommendation, because they'll recommend that you invest in property... even though they pick up a commission for doing so (but don't, if you decide to buy equities instead).

With a financial planner, I always suspect that they are steering me towards a product because they get a higher commission for it. With buyers agents and mortgage brokers, my perception is that they get the same commission / fee no matter which property you buy / which loan they recommend. If a financial planner got equal commissions from all funds that they sell, or they go on the % of assets management fee type structure, there might be less suspicion.
Alex

For all those out there who are using Twitter, I highly recommend you follow Stuart:

I am sure I read something re Stuart within the last 2 days re a workshop teaching end clients about financial advice structuring.

I thought what a brilliant idea. I had the impression Stuart was going to advise end clients how FAs structure their FA.....and there was something about using a real life couple's scenario.

This is definitely an area amenable to education, and I'd jump at a chance to become a more informed consumer of FA.

With a financial planner, I always suspect that they are steering me towards a product because they get a higher commission for it. With buyers agents and mortgage brokers, my perception is that they get the same commission / fee no matter which property you buy / which loan they recommend. If a financial planner got equal commissions from all funds that they sell, or they go on the % of assets management fee type structure, there might be less suspicion.
Alex

In my meager opinion, this is correct. Unfortunately Financial Planners have ranging products that can affect their recommendation depending on how many mouths thay have to feed at home. Saying that though, like any broker or any person with a product to sell - there are good ones and bad ones. Take a recommendation and choose your own path.
Financial planners- in most cases can only recommend Property trusts and the odd OTP. I once had a FP recommend I sell some some good CG property to buy some shares with him. Apparently my Investment Strategy was not diverse enough for his liking. Perhaps he was correct but I wasn't going to lose money or potential growth to satisfy his opinion. (Or pockets).

Back