Recommended broker in western suburbs, Melbourne?

Hi, just wondering if anyone can recommend me a good mortgage broker in the western suburbs of melbourne to help with my first IP purchase. I've searched the forum and the name PT_Bear comes up a lot but I was hoping to find someone a little closer to home, thanks.

LOL @ Biggles.

As the OP will probably find out, many people have brokers who are not even in the same state.

While I think there's some value in meeting face-to-face for the first meeting (if you're the sort of person who measures others well this way) all normal correspondence can be managed via email/fax/phone. eg. Our broker is on the Gold Coast, and we're in Geelong.

I think you will find generally, that the good brokers will have offices and make business hours appointments for you to visit them. Many will ask for some of your information upfront before committing to an appointment.

there are loads of brokers who will see you after hours, in your home, and have a cup of tea. However (this is a broad generalisation) they are usually inexperienced brokers working for a franchise, cutting their teeth.

There is enough infomation on here to start you in the right direction as to what sort of investment finance questions you need to ask of a broker. You can then decide whether its worth making the trek out to the eastern suburbs (or starting the process over the phone) or whether to get someone closeby who might not have the same level of specific investor knowledge.

I think you will find generally, that the good brokers will have offices and make business hours appointments for you to visit them. Many will ask for some of your information upfront before committing to an appointment.

there are loads of brokers who will see you after hours, in your home, and have a cup of tea. However (this is a broad generalisation) they are usually inexperienced brokers working for a franchise, cutting their teeth.There is enough infomation on here to start you in the right direction as to what sort of investment finance questions you need to ask of a broker. You can then decide whether its worth making the trek out to the eastern suburbs (or starting the process over the phone) or whether to get someone closeby who might not have the same level of specific investor knowledge.

Sometimes i think this forum is a pulling d!ck contest. You're comments above are an absolute joke ...

Here's a little story for you .... around 7 years ago NAB changed the title of their Mobile mortgage Manager (MMM) position and at the same time dropped the pay by around $30k. Needless to say most of the Triple M's took packages. Some of these triple M's had more than 20 years experience in lending and went on to broking. They do exactly as you describe above, after hours visits to the clients homes. They don't need to rely on shiny offices, their experience and reputation is more than enough .... and I can tell you first hand that these guys write some big numbers with litytle more help than one admin staff.

But if you think your office makes you better than these guys or it compensates for other areas you might be lacking in, good for you....

Don't generalise, to the inexperienced you make look like gods gift, but to the rest of us you come across as a fool

Tonka, ask your friends or family if they have a good relationship with an experienced broker and go on that recommendation

Just writing a loan for some FHOG in Footscray buying in Sunshine.

They're busy, I'm busy. If we had to make an appointment then he would not be there when she was available and vice versa. Their ID is established by an independent third party, and they get plenty of time and personal attention from me without having to vacuum the house or stock up on chocolate biscuits

Used to have a main street office - but you can spend a lot of time admin managing or working on scenarios - it seems to me that working on scenarios is of greater benefit to my customers than whether I have a snazzy street front office or not.

The internet has replaced the Austin A40 as a mode of travel - but there is still no substitute for Tim Tams!!

Cheers

some people obviously still like the personal touch.

All my loans to date have been done inter state.

Does make the "urgent"document signing etc a bit of a challenge but manageable all the same.

Sometimes i think this forum is a pulling d!ck contest. You're comments above are an absolute joke ...

Here's a little story for you .... around 7 years ago NAB changed the title of their Mobile mortgage Manager (MMM) position and at the same time dropped the pay by around $30k. Needless to say most of the Triple M's took packages. Some of these triple M's had more than 20 years experience in lending and went on to broking. They do exactly as you describe above, after hours visits to the clients homes. They don't need to rely on shiny offices, their experience and reputation is more than enough .... and I can tell you first hand that these guys write some big numbers with litytle more help than one admin staff.

But if you think your office makes you better than these guys or it compensates for other areas you might be lacking in, good for you....

Don't generalise, to the inexperienced you make look like gods gift, but to the rest of us you come across as a fool

fair enough, I did say I was making a broad generalisation. yes a lot of brokers are ex bank staff, with many years experience, and I guess quite a few of them choose to work from home and see people after hours. What do you think the chances are of the poster happening upon one of these brokers by google, or phone book? Pretty slim. More likely than not they will get a large franchise come up first in the search, who will send out an inexperienced broker. Because, once they are experienced, (like your NAB friends) they dont work for a franchise anymore, or they recruit newbies to do the running around.

For the record, Im not one of those brokers. I see people after hours, and I travel all over Melbourne to see clients. Most of my client base are not investors. I dont work for myself. Im on this forum as an investor. When I think I have something to share, either thru my investing experience, or my finance experience Im going to share it.

fair enough, I did say I was making a broad generalisation. yes a lot of brokers are ex bank staff, with many years experience, and I guess quite a few of them choose to work from home and see people after hours. What do you think the chances are of the poster happening upon one of these brokers by google, or phone book? Pretty slim. More likely than not they will get a large franchise come up first in the search, who will send out an inexperienced broker. Because, once they are experienced, (like your NAB friends) they dont work for a franchise anymore, or they recruit newbies to do the running around.

For the record, Im not one of those brokers. I see people after hours, and I travel all over Melbourne to see clients. Most of my client base are not investors. I dont work for myself. Im on this forum as an investor. When I think I have something to share, either thru my investing experience, or my finance experience Im going to share it.

fair point

I’m doing a Senior’s Equity Release (Reverse Mortgage) at the moment for a couple in Point Cook who did just that – googled and then rang every broker which came up on the search.

They were well prepared and had a set list of questions to ask and graded the responses. They thought I sounded ‘nice’ and so we have been working together for a few months now while they determine what exactly it is they want to do.

To write this loan I have had to do some extra study, increase my accreditations and apply for membership of SEQUAL. But that’s OK, it has been interesting and with the greying of Australia the Reverse Mortgages will become a more common alternative source of cash funds for retired people.

Over the short course of this thread, Tonka has realised that to find a ‘good’ mortgage broker – interpreted, perhaps, as a broker on your wave length – it may not be necessary to find that broker within cup of tea distance from home.

With National Licensing, we are now Courtier en prêts hypothécaires sans Frontieres!

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Kristine

Agree with Marty i am not sure i would do a deal for under 100K unless it was for a SMSF.

All boils down to the number of hours in a day v reward and use of time.

Rather use my spare to plan the next holiday.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

I'll take an alternate view and am happy to write loans less than $100k.

I agree that the loan is not very profitable, but I can recall several examples where the guy who needed $100k went on to refer $1M+ of business.

Back