Reconfiguring 1 bedder into 2 bed.

Curious if anyone wants to share their thoughts on if/how one might get a second bedroom in this place (legally). I've recently inspected it and no, I'm not going to be making an offer, but I just wanted to explore its potential out of interest.

• The laundry is basically dead space. The bathroom had more than enough room for the laundry to be integrated.
  • I reckon an rejig of the living/dining/kitchen area could make way for a second room.

Anyone want to have a crack?

second_room.gif

Out there idea from me :)

1. Move Robe in Bed 1 to another wall.
2. Move door to Bed 1 to be from living room
3. Create a door from Bed 1 to bathroom next to shower - sliding door
4. Create Bed 2 from hallway and laundry. This room has access to bathroom and Bed 1 has access to bathroom
5. Bed 2 would need to go 1m in the kitchen area. 2.9 x 2.5 (or more if you take more from kitchen area)

You lose public access to bathroom unless they go through one of the bedrooms but it is a very simple and cost effective way of creating a second bedroom.

Reconfiguring 2nd bedroom

1.Turn bathroom into 2nd bedroom by adding on 1 mtr. (taken from Laundry)
2.Ditch the bath. Turn laundry into bathroom/laundry combined - Might need to take a bit more from kitchen or could put washing machine in kitchen
3. Shunt kitchen further into lounge.
This means all can access bathroom.
Cheers
Charlotte30:)

Excellent suggestions guys. Much better than what I'd considered.

I know it's getting ridiculous but this is for fun. Would it be feasible to combine the suggestions of Charlotte and Devank for 3 bedrooms?

(I also still encourage anyone with other ideas for the second bedroom to post)

1.Turn bathroom into 2nd bedroom by adding on 1 mtr. (taken from Laundry)
2.Ditch the bath. Turn laundry into bathroom/laundry combined - Might need to take a bit more from kitchen or could put washing machine in kitchen
3. Shunt kitchen further into lounge.
This means all can access bathroom.
Cheers
Charlotte30:)

I like this idea but it means changing the window in the laundry and all the plumbing being moved could be ezpensive. .
Or you could make the laundry a bedroom by moving the wall into the kitchen then moving the kitchen down to run into the bottom corner. Of course you need to go through the new bedroom to get to the bathroom which is not ideal.

When we started looking for our PPOR. I used to drive my hubby crazy (more than normal) with rearranging all the rooms. :D
The one we did buy we moved the kitchen to another room (it was huge with a tiny family room), blocked up a doorway and moved it. This gave us a decent family room plus a study. Added heaps of value too.:D

if theres a ceiling above, dont chop the rooms up!

rake the ceilings, line them on the underside and put a mezzanine in. second bedrooms always end up being a study so it doesn't need to be a huge space.

how are you going to get a decent window and furnishable space in the revised option, devank?

rake the ceilings, line them on the underside and put a mezzanine in.
Seems like a nice idea. Do you have photos to illustrate this?

how are you going to get a decent window and furnishable space in the revised option, devank?
We have to work with limited resources... so something has to give in :)
I guess it all depends on the target tenants.

I assumed this is a unit hence no changed to externals. Moving bath or kitchen would be expensive.

Id go with devanks idea of the placement of the second bedroom , but I'd make the room narrower , maybe around 2.6 otherwise your making the living area too small .

I'd then take out the wall between the laundry and the kitchen and move the kitchen into that space and make it smaller without the extended bench into the living area , again trying to maximise the living area .

Then you need to fit a laundry , in , either in the kitchen or in the bathroom with a drier above the washer .

Cliff

I know it's getting ridiculous but this is for fun. Would it be feasible to combine the suggestions of Charlotte and Devank for 3 bedrooms?

Ridiculous, yes. Unless this unit is in downtown Tokyo it would appear that even a two bedder would be seriously pushing the limits to what is acceptable.

The entire internal space is only 50sqm. This is a fairly tight one bedroom and right on the cusp of what most lenders will deem acceptable security. To turn it into a 2 or 3 bed is a little farcical.

Sorry to be a negative nelly, I'm all for maximising returns but even erecting a simple stud wall would be eating into already minimal space.

That gives you smaller spaces

I think having the kitchen open and continuous with the Living area will give a greater sense of space

edit ... but dysfunctiuonal entrance ...

Cliff

Last edited:
Have to agree with Noodle on this one. Although hypothetically if the size was large i.e. Min 60sqm, the last Devank submission would be my preference.

Back