Redcliffe Peninsula or Logan Area

Hi everyone
I am about to go unconditional on a 3 bedroom townhouse in Slacks Creek, south of Brissy and i am ready to start looking for the next one. Like many sydney investors i have a bit of equity in hand, and am looking for 300k or so purchase as my max purchase price.
I am trying to decide between the north or the south.

Redcliffe seem attractive as it is near the water, has the kippa ring train line going in and seems like the prices have been slow for 3 bedroom houses a few streets back. It is probably a little too far from the cbd though.

The logan and surroundings are already moving (probably due to us ), have good yields decent vacancy rates and is at a good point between GC and Bris.

I didnt think i would start a post like this but selecting an area is still the hardest part for me at this point in my investing career.

My heart say Redcliffe as i just purchased in Logan but the deals are still around albeit not as good as a few mths back. What would you do? What am i missing in my criteria?

Cheers for any responses guys
Michael

I would say Redcliffes but I'm bias.. However if you already have a property at Logan why not spread your risk?

There is already quite a few posts on both Redcliffes and Logan that you might find interesting.

Hi Mike, you've got a townhouse already,
why not go for a house on some land next,
see how far 300k stretches for a decent house and land
in either direction, Logan (south) or Redcliffe area (north)

From experience as an ex-local, I've found the Slacks Creek side of Logan to be a bit sensitive to downturns in the greater Brisbane market. Townhouses in Logan seemed to slide in price from around Late 2010 through 2012'ish a lot more than the rest of greater Brisvegas. We sold our IP Townhouse for 214k in late 2010, while the neighbours in the complex were selling for 150-175k through 2011-12. They're just coming back now to what the prices were in 2010.

Not sure how Redcliffe fared, but as Jenko said, it wouldn't hurt to spread your risk and go Northside.

Thanks for the thoughts folks.
Where else would you spend 300k in Bris should you have the chance?
Thanks
Michael

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts folks.
Where else would you spend 300k in Bris should you have the chance?
Thanks
Michael

Strathpine or Bray park, Kallangur and Murrumba Downs in walking distance to the new stations, if possible. The new (whenever) University will be at the old paper mill site at Petrie

Strathpine or Bray park, Kallangur and Murrumba Downs in walking distance to the new stations, if possible. The new (whenever) University will be at the old paper mill site at Petrie

Just comparing distances and ease of travel,
Kallangur is 31.2 km to Brisbane City
Murrumba Downs 28km
Bray Park 26km
Strathpine 25km

Logan - Woodridge, Logan Central, Slacks Creek, Kingston etc are approx 19-21km from the city. Woodridge train station, Trinder Park, and Kingston train station are close by to these suburbs and service them, plus there are bus services to the city as well shopping centres like Garden City.
Park N Ride at Springwood busway station.

Logan Hyperdome shopping, Ikea, Bunnings all nearby as well as the smaller shopping centres like Slacks Creek Foodworks as well as Logan Central Shopping Centre, Springwood Shopping, Chatswood Hills (also in Springwood).

Griffith University has 2 campuses near Logan, one at Loganlea and one at Nathan.
Logan Hospital at Loganlea, drop-off at Loganlea train station, one stop down from Kingston train station.

There are good schools in Logan like John Paul College in Springwood, Springwood State School, Redeemer Lutheran College in Rochedale South as well as a plethora of good primary schools.

The Logan suburbs are serviced by 3 major highways - the Pacific Motorway which gets you to the city or the Gold Coast, Gateway Motorway to Brisbane airport, Logan Motorway to Ipswich.

There is also the arterial Kingston - Logan Road that goes north towards the city from Logan.

The arterial road to Strathpine, Bray park, Kallangur and Murrumba Downs is Gympie Road. I don't know of any highways to get there.

I've stayed in Virginia before, the traffic crawl along Gympie Rd in the evenings towards the northern suburbs is quite amazing.

I see quite a few sub-300 highset houses with land in the cheaper suburbs of Logan mentioned above as well as in Crestmead and Marsden. With a good highset house, you can command quite a good rental yield.

The sub-300k houses seem mainly in Kallangur (north) which is 31 km north from the city.

Just comparing distances and ease of travel,
Kallangur is 31.2 km to Brisbane City
Murrumba Downs 28km
Bray Park 26km
Strathpine 25km

Logan - Woodridge, Logan Central, Slacks Creek, Kingston etc are approx 19-21km from the city. Woodridge train station, Trinder Park, and Kingston train station are close by to these suburbs and service them, plus there are bus services to the city as well shopping centres like Garden City.
Park N Ride at Springwood busway station.

Logan Hyperdome shopping, Ikea, Bunnings all nearby as well as the smaller shopping centres like Slacks Creek Foodworks as well as Logan Central Shopping Centre, Springwood Shopping, Chatswood Hills (also in Springwood).

Griffith University has 2 campuses near Logan, one at Loganlea and one at Nathan.
Logan Hospital at Loganlea, drop-off at Loganlea train station, one stop down from Kingston train station.

There are good schools in Logan like John Paul College in Springwood, Springwood State School, Redeemer Lutheran College in Rochedale South as well as a plethora of good primary schools.

The Logan suburbs are serviced by 3 major highways - the Pacific Motorway which gets you to the city or the Gold Coast, Gateway Motorway to Brisbane airport, Logan Motorway to Ipswich.

There is also the arterial Kingston - Logan Road that goes north towards the city from Logan.

The arterial road to Strathpine, Bray park, Kallangur and Murrumba Downs is Gympie Road. I don't know of any highways to get there.

I've stayed in Virginia before, the traffic crawl along Gympie Rd in the evenings towards the northern suburbs is quite amazing.

I see quite a few sub-300 highset houses with land in the cheaper suburbs of Logan mentioned above as well as in Crestmead and Marsden. With a good highset house, you can command quite a good rental yield.

The sub-300k houses seem mainly in Kallangur (north) which is 31 km north from the city.

I agree with Beanie_Girl on Logan City suburbs, the infrastructure is really pretty good compared to brisbane plus only 45 mins from Gold Coast so is an attractive lifestyle option. I was also looking northside initially but went south and bought in Springwood with a budget around $350k. Currently still looking around Woodridge, Logan Central, Kingston but prices have definitely moved and yields softening so getting harder to buy there.

Anyone got any updates on the draft logan city plan? Especially any changes on the rules regarding dual occupancy and dual key compare to the initial draft?

Anyone got any updates on the draft logan city plan? Especially any changes on the rules regarding dual occupancy and dual key compare to the initial draft?

The direction is there - to allow 'secondary' dwellings to be rented out to separate parties, regardless of whether the 'secondary dwelling' is attached to the primary dwelling or freestanding. In Low-density residential areas.

Definition of 'Secondary Dwelling' in Logan Draft Plan 2014 April

A secondary dwelling is a dwelling, used in
conjunction with, and subordinate to, a dwelling
house on the same lot. A secondary dwelling
may share a common wall or be free standing.

Definition of 'Secondary Dwelling' according to Queensland Planning Provisions (QPP) in late 2013

A dwelling, used in conjunction with, and subordinate to, a dwelling
house on the same lot. A secondary dwelling may be constructed under a dwelling house, be attached to a dwelling house or be free standing.

Whether the direction/stance is approved by the State Govt is up to the State Govt probably early 2015, earliest Jan 2015.

Back