Redfern-how Cleveland St got cool again

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/how-cleveland-st-got-cool-again/

"IT’S part Redfern East, part Surry Hills - but Cleveland St is developing its own identity.

More specifically, along the southern end of the strip, a group of businesses known unofficially as the “Cleveland St cluster” have given the street an independent, creative and innovative feel...."

Read the rest of the article here:-

http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/how-cleveland-st-got-cool-again/

That little section of Cleveland is really catching on. I was at the Norfolk a few weeks ago, boy what a scene!

But the rest of Cleveland is terrible, always has been. I always thought it was one of the ugliest/noisiest/grungiest major roads in inner Sydney.

But the article is misleading. What they should say is "How Cleveland got discovered by the trendies"

Its always been cool, in a very dirty, down market, grungy, cheap kind of way.

Oh well, there goes another neighborhood. When you see Ferraris parked outside the mentioned establishments, you know its gone to the yuppies.

Evand,

I never thought I'd never see Ferraris and Porsches parked in Walker Street, Redfern (Norfolk is on the corner of this street and Cleveland Street). My IP is in this street quite close to the Norfolk. Saw the queue to get in and the bouncer. Looked at the people in the queue and thought I'm probably not trendy enough to get in.

I find it all a bit amusing.

Redfern Gentrification

It is great to see the inner city of Sydney being revitalised, especially once grungy areas that were never seen to possess any livability such as Cleveland Street and Redfern. It all started in the early 90s with the growth of East Surry Hills (a euphamism for redfern on the right side of the train station) and it is definitely growing, could it be the new Newtown or even the next Paddington?

Its always been cool, in a very dirty, down market, grungy, cheap kind of way.

Too true. When I first moved out of home I moved to a one bedder in surry hills right on cleveland street. It was 1989. I thought I was the coolest engineering graduate on the planet. Way ahead of my time, enjoying falafel and babaghanouj for breakfast.:)

Ho hum. Another area of Sydney changed.

Now, watch as the people who have completly changed the character of the area reject any future change.

I dealt with a residents committee in the area recently. They were trying to take a restaurant to the Land and Environment Court because of concerns over noise.

Inner city NIMBYs annoy me. Want peace and quiet? Don't move to an area like that.

It's a symbol of the backward looking nature of inner city Sydney. People get attracted to an area because of nightlife, restaurants etc etc. Then they move there and suddenly they don't want anyone else enjoying the area.

Pathetic.

Back