Redfern's "The Block" Devepopment.

Redfern's "The Block" Development.

Does anyone know the status of the pemulwuy project on the "block" in redfern.

Underground carpark, units, shops, a childcare centre and affordable housing for aboriginals have been given the green light, but some tents popped up on the old site a few months ago and seems like everything has come to a standstill. Aboriginal locals are protesting that they feel the "affordable housing" should be built before anything else. Hence the tents

Some posters may know i recently bought in the area and i have seen some great potential fot growth with the Redfern to eveleigh corridor project (google it, its crazy if it ever happens!) and also the Pemulwuy development.

Any one got the inside scoop on whats happening? Can't find anything on the net or the Aboriginal Housing Company (AHC) website...

Last edited:
Hi RyanB,
There is a small tent embassy set up in the 'Block' but it is not preventing the development going ahead. For some reason the locals thought building was due to commence but as with most developments things don't get done immediately. I wouldn't worry too much, the issue at this point comes down to poor communication between the Aboriginal Housing and their people. The protests might heat up when the actual construction starts but I can't see it gaining enough momentum to prevent the whole development happening. You have bought in a great area with great capital gain potential short & long term. I have worked in Newtown and Redfern for the last 17 years and have seen the area change and the property prices go up and up. I can only see that continuing. Do you mind me asking which st you bought in? Understand if you don't want to share!

Hi RyanB,
For some reason the locals thought building was due to commence but as with most developments things don't get done immediately.

Yeh for some reason i thought it was meant to kick off, im sure i read a media article stating "construction was meant to start" but you can't trust the words of the paper. I am definately happy with my purchase, i got a great 3 bedder which shortly i'm going to start pulling to pieces :eek: I do have to agree re. demonstration momentum, it cant get far if the AHC is developing the land!

I intend to put in a few months of work after work (damn you normal job!) on the place and move in for a year or 2 and re assess the situation, its in a close neighbouring street to the "block"

Thanks ajax,

I have had a squizz on redwatch but every time i decide im going to dive in and have a read i just get put off by the terrible set out. Gives me a headache, BUT rest assured, i and going to have a trawl through it tonight!!

MAGNET, do you know if the development has been awarded to a particular company? or what stage the development is in?

Hi RyanB,
Things are imminent for construction so not sure what the hold up is but it's definitely not the protestors. I have heard the developer is Deicorp. The same company as the new apartments across the street from the railway above the 2 cafes. If someone had told me 10 years ago that the block would be what it is today I would have bought something for dirt cheap on Caroline!

They've been gentrifying the block for the past 15 years. When they say affordable housing for Aboriginals they don't mean in the block. They've been moving the aboriginals out of Redfern and relocating them in places like Blacktown and Coffs Harbour with the incentive of bigger/better houses.

The houses on Caroline Street are mainly leased out to students and the houses on Eveleigh street and Vine Street belong to middle aged white people/young families. The rest are occupied/rented by PC hipsters who belong in Newton.

Things are happening...

I think construction or atleast clearing of the tent embassy and fencing being set up is imminent. Stay tuned over the next 4 weeks for some movement.

I think construction or atleast clearing of the tent embassy and fencing being set up is imminent. Stay tuned over the next 4 weeks for some movement.

Funny to see this post pop up again,

I am moving into my first PPOR on vine st on saturday

The area is fantastic, the old block has a few people camped out on it who are on the whole harmless, i feel safer here than i would in surry hills or darlinghurst.

Regarding the tents, they were given until monday 23rd 3pm to vacate, and have said they will not move,

ABC reported this moring that mick mundine has said it will have to go to the courts.. (seems strange as it is "private property" - Should be able to boot them out.)

Stay tuned!

hopefully for all parties it doesn't get messy!

I'm interested too as I have an apartment at the corner of Abercrombie and Vine. I'll mention, the tent embassy has been really peaceful the whole time I've seen it.

Back