Reduce rent with separated water meters...?

Own an unit in a block of 5 with shared water meter, hence by law I am responsible for the water usage. Recently all owners vote to install separated meter, and there is a tenant with 12 months fixed agreement.

I have checked back the rent agreement and all the advertises, there wasn't anywhere that have mentioned I will/won't pay for the water usage.

So if the meters are installed and therefore by law I can ask the tenant to pay for the water, but whatif the tenant is asked for a reduced rent to compensate the water, do I oblige to do it...?

Super.

My understanding is that you won't be able to impose water charges until you include that clause in the lease on renewal. If in Queensland you also need certification from a plumber that the property is water efficient (shower head, toilet etc.)

You can't change lease conditions mid-term.
Marg

My understanding is that you won't be able to impose water charges until you include that clause in the lease on renewal.

Marg

Are you sure about this...:eek: I have other unit with separated meter, I am pretty sure the agreement doesn't have that clause, but the tenant is paying for their water usage.

In term of the lease conditions, this is the grey area that I am not sure if it considers as changing as the water clause has never been included in the lease to specify that I need to pay for it even with separated meter.

You can always continue to pay the water usage until the tenant moves instead of a rent reduction

Of course I can continue to pay for it, and I am pretty sure the tenant will love that too...:D

But I would like to know if I don't want to give a rent reduction, by law, do I still need to pay for the water.

In fact, if required, I would prefer to reduce rent rather than pay for the water usage as a fixed amount is much easier to do calculation...:D

Super.

My understanding is that you won't be able to impose water charges until you include that clause in the lease on renewal. If in Queensland you also need certification from a plumber that the property is water efficient (shower head, toilet etc.)

Marg

Its different in Vic. If the properties are separately metered, then the tenant pays irrespective of whether they are in a lease or not. Of course, there may be a need to tackle the issue tactfully with the tenant.

The standard Vic tenancy lease does not refer to water or utility charges.

Of course, there may be a need to tackle the issue tactfully with the tenant.

I am in the process of having both house & self contained unit (on same block) being separately metered. Its amazing how much water people use when they are not paying for it.

Why would you want to reduce the rent over paying the water usage?

At the moment you will be paying water rates and the strata would be paying the water usage for the whole building.

You say that the property is a unit - so I take it is a villa or townhouse, I don't know how many bedrooms or how many occupants are residing at your property so it would be hard for me to estimate the amount of water used - but you should be able to do this.

For instance in Sydney the cost of water is $1.61 for every 1000 litres, the average 2 bedoom villa with 2 adults and 1 child would use 3000 litres per week which = $4.83 per week.

You can not force the tenant to pay, and if I was a tenant I would want $10.00 off per week just for the inconvieniance and because of my negoitiating position.

You are better off asorbing this cost till the end of the lease, when the lease is renewed or if the tenants change write a clause in the lease so the tenant pays the usage. You say you have 8 months left that would = $167.44 (by my calculation) which is tax deductable.

Why would you want to reduce the rent over paying the water usage?

The water bill is around $6 per week, and I wouldn't expect to reduce more than $5 if I need to.

But anyway, it is no longer an issue. As I have chatted with my PM, who said there is a clause (which I couldn't find it up until now...:D) in the lease agreement which specified that the tenant needs to pay for any water usage as long as the water meter is separately setup at the start of the tenancy or during the tenancy.....(still searching for that hidden clause...:D)

Super.

Back