reducing photo size for emailing

My phone camera has high resolution, so takes really good photos ... problem is that I need to send them via email (several at a time) and the photos are taking forever to download onto the email. Can take all evening for one email to setup.

I need to be able to reduce the quality of the photo (file size) so they download quick, but I don't have microsoft office - I use open office or PDF as required.

Is anyone able to offer a "really simple plain english" solution?

Lizzie,
Assuming you have copied your photos to the computer, you can navigate to your pictures folder, select the images you want to send, then right-click and select "Send as email". Windows will then offer you the option of "send as full size" or "shrink pictures" (or similar). Selecting "shrink" will reduce this size to as much as 1/10th.

Lizzie,
Assuming you have copied your photos to the computer, you can navigate to your pictures folder, select the images you want to send, then right-click and select "Send as email". Windows will then offer you the option of "send as full size" or "shrink pictures" (or similar). Selecting "shrink" will reduce this size to as much as 1/10th.

This is how I do it as well,I use the added advantage of dragging the photos from outlook express onto the desktop,You can do dozens of photos at once using this method and use them for posting on the forum or whatever you want.

What sort of phone do you have? You could most likely just use a lower resolution setting on the camera settings in the phone. Personally I like to shoot in the highest resolution possible so I always have those photos at the best then if I want to upload them online or email etc then I downsize copies of the originals for that. I personally use Lightroom for all the image retouching and making the photos look much better, then I export them to a temporary folder for these copies to be uploaded or emailed, they will later be deleted. I will also use Photoshop if any further advanced editing needs to be done. Then I use Nikon ViewNX to scroll through my exported photos and decide which ones I will upload or not.

I'm traveling at the moment and this is all just for when using my Nokia N8 or my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray smart phones, I use the same process when I have full DSLR gear too. ;)

Back