Reducing rent while renovating bathroom

W

WebBoard

I currently have bathroom people renovating the bathroom in my IP and got a verbal agreement (between my agent and tenant) to reduce the rent by $30 per week while the renovations are being done.

3 days into the renovation the agent calls me up and tells me about a letter the tenant has written saying that they are not very happy having to use the bath and wanted me to either charge no rent for the time the shower wasn't in use; find them alternate accommodation for this time or threaten to take me to a 'tribunal'.

I wasn't happy to hear this and caused me some grief.

I got the agent to call the tenant and ask them to suggest an appropriate rent during the renovation time. They have suggested paying $120/week rather than $200. I have accepted this to avoid further trouble

Can anybody suggest what my legal requirements as a Landlord are during such renovations ? (IP in the ACT - standard rental agreement)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Just goes to show what tenants can achieve by exerting some pressure.

Years ago when I was living in a flat in London, there were renovations done to the bathroom. Took three weeks and we had no shower, so had to use the bath faucet to wash our hair, and it was winter so not much fun. Some water must've leaked through the bath because low and behold some mushrooms started sprouting under the vanity unit. It was carpeted, so I guess that helped the germination process.
Not wanting to cause a fuss, we just put up with it and kept paying the 240 pounds/week until the bathroom was finished. Lucky landlords hey!!

A 40% reduction on the rent sounds a bit much but maybe a 25% discount? Hope it goes well and good luck.

Cheers
EL

Reply: 1.1

The tenants seem to be happy now.

The bathroom people have purchased a shower attachment for the bath tub which they will remove when the new shower screen is fitted. It is great to see that the bathroom people are thinking. I haven't seen the finished job but they have been very professional and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Cheers,
Will

Reply: 1.1.1

Will,
I know it's a bit late for you, but this is a great example of the necessity of 'covering your arse' with a written agreement between all parties involved, to avoid being taken advantage of. Funny how we always seem to hear about 'bastard landlords' in the media, but what about tenants that take advantage of a good landlord, like what has happened here. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Thanks for the info. Will, I'm sure you have probably saved others grief by posting news of your own. Thanks mate.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Will,

I sympathise with your situation and am happy that you seem to have compromised and settled it amicably.

Reading your post reminded me of a house we rented whilst in NZ. It had a massive (unfinished) ensuite with plans for a glorious spa by the window, which overlooked Otago Harbour (a truly magical view, especially at night, with a glass of bubbly!)We moved in the beginning of Feb, with the owner giving us a verbal promise that it would all be completed and fully usable by the end of Feb at the latest. Fine, we thought, we can live without it for 4 little weeks. The other bathroom was fine, but the ensuite was going to be something else!

Feb came and went, March then April. In the meantime, the owner (doing all the work himself) came and went whenever he chose,to the point where I had to ask him could he please knock before entering the house, as he would just happily let himself in! (he had his own keys of course) Very unnerving, especially when you're in the shower!
We finally got to sit in that spa some 8 weeks after he said it would be ready. So much for verbal agreements! We never thought to ask for a reduction in rent (we were subsidised at the time) but, looking back on it, we should have!

I am learning fast in the world of IP's that nothing is solid without being written down. People can appear to be the nicest in the world, but verbal promises mean nothing. Always get promises and conditions written down, even if it means offending people. In the end, you save yourself a lot of heartache and trouble.
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

I'd be asking the agent to cough up the difference between the agreement he made with the tenant and the final amount settled on. If the agent wasn't professional enough to get the agreement in writing...

Cheers,
Gerard C.

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

You're right. I should probably get the Agent to cough up the difference ($50) but I would prefer to keep all parties on my side and forfeit the $50. 'Pissed off' tenants and/or Agents can only cause more problems and I don't want to be 'black-listed' as a landlord.

I will also have closer contact with the tenants (where appropriate) so messages are clear and 'documented'.

"If you want something done right, do it yourself"

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

"If you want something done right, do it yourself"

....then why are you bothering with an agent?

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Quite the contrary, 'If you want something done right, get the professionals on your team to do it for you.' Please note that just because someone gets paid to perform a service, doesn't necessarily make them a professional.

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Back