Refugee Arrives on Boat. 30 Years Later Nominated for a Nobel Prive

(Pardon the Erroneous Spelling in the Header. Cannot seem to change it)

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...san-thang-cut-from-csiro-20141201-11xvaf.html

I love positive stories. This happy tale is of a guy who arrived on a boat as a refugee. Although English was never his first language, he made the most of what Australia had to offer and has now been nominated for a Nobel Prize in Chemistry.

Although recent budget cuts have meant that his job at CSIRO has come under threat, there is no bitter whining from him. He is actually very grateful to his former employers who gave him many opportunities for almost 30 years. My understanding is that he has a property portfolio of his own and has no interest in going on the pension or dole.

Last edited:
Great to see.

There are lots of positive refugee stories out there that the simpletons seem to ignore.

Eg my grandparents went to singapore as refugees, 8 kids including 1 born on the boat, no education, extremely poor etc and out of the kids-
1 army general and ambassador to 3 countries
1 surgeon in Sydney
1 dentist in perth
1 lawyer in Singapore
1 business owner in perth
A couple of excellent "everyday" people who have worked and contributed their whole lives.

Out of them their kids ie my cousins and I have also done brilliantly

Btw your link is not working http://m.smh.com.au/technology/sci-...san-thang-cut-from-csiro-20141201-11xvaf.html

Albert Einstein and Enrico Fermi were both refugees. So too were Yang and Lee, two of the youngest Nobel Prize winners in Physics.

One of my relatives was a Rhodes Scholar and an Oxford medallist. When she applied to migrate to Australia, she got turned down! Our immigration department needs to bring in the best of the best - something they have failed to do for many decades. It would seem that the average IQ of Immigration officials leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, some strange decisions made with immigration, I know of a wealthy English family who applied to come but were refused because they had a disabled daughter.

The father offered to transfer $2m AUD into an OZ bank to prove he had enough assets to support daughter but not enough and declined immigration.

Great to see.

There are lots of positive refugee stories out there that the simpletons seem to ignore.

Rubbish, all I see is another refugee coming here and taking a job that should go to a hard-working Australian, and stealing the bread off the table from their children. For shame, to the Manus camps with him! :rolleyes:;)

Stories like these always remind me of Andrew Carnegie.

I admire the sense of perspective and community spirit San Thang embodies.

There are always variations in a cohort. At the extremity comes the exception. So, from refugees there will be brilliant lives. Even from delinquents. There was once a delinquent remanded to a youth institution. In it, he was disciplined harshly, I mean caned, but he responded brilliantly and achieved later in life as - General Manager of Singapore Airlines!

A great story.

It seems that he is going to continue working for free now?

It seems to me that the government (from both sides of the fence) has a very short sighted view of the value of scientific research to Australia.

Yes, some strange decisions made with immigration, I know of a wealthy English family who applied to come but were refused because they had a disabled daughter.

The father offered to transfer $2m AUD into an OZ bank to prove he had enough assets to support daughter but not enough and declined immigration.

I wonder if they would have been treated differently if they came over on a boat? If so where is the incentive for anyone to follow the rules?

As to the original post- bloody foreigners coming over here and stealing our Nobel prizes.

I wonder if they would have been treated differently if they came over on a boat? If so where is the incentive for anyone to follow the rules?

As to the original post- bloody foreigners coming over here and stealing our Nobel prizes.

no, their application would also be rejected as they would not, on the face of it, qualify to seek asylum.

what is the point youre trying to badly make?

Our immigration department needs to bring in the best of the best - something they have failed to do for many decades. It would seem that the average IQ of Immigration officials leaves a lot to be desired.

Public servants implement the law as set down by parliament. Sometimes they have flexibility in terms of policy, but not always.

What you perceive to be an IQ problem, may in fact be the implementation of Australian law.

Great story, LS.

Eg my grandparents went to singapore as refugees, 8 kids including 1 born on the boat, no education, extremely poor etc and out of the kids-
1 army general and ambassador to 3 countries
1 surgeon in Sydney
1 dentist in perth
1 lawyer in Singapore
1 business owner in perth
A couple of excellent "everyday" people who have worked and contributed their whole lives.

Out of them their kids ie my cousins and I have also done brilliantly

Another inspiring family. Thanks for sharing, Sanj :)

this is a frigging awesome story!!!

guy comes from nothing and is now a gun in life,

Just like the asian kid in my high school, he arrived to aus when he was about 10, couldnt speak a word of english,

8 years later, gets top student in the school for english, not ESL

so he beats all the people (including me) who have been speaking english for 18 years , when he is on half that,

absolutely amazing, and puts locals to shame

Back