Regional Investing-New South Wales..

I have been looking at Dubbo for past month. I can get a decent 3 bedder for 250K mark, with yield of 6-7%. The vacancy rates hover around 1-2% mark.

What are your thoughts on that area?

From what I hear there are parts of Dubbo that you definitelysteer clear of. Quite a lot of it, actually. You'd really have to make sure that you know the area you're buying into. Sorry, I've forgotten where the super-dodgy area is. They're trying to clean it up by selling it off.
I think Dubbo is still a gradual mover. Prices were really low about 3 years ago (of course) and it has gone up since then but still moving I believe. Put it this way - it has a long way to go.

Originally Posted by rdbhalla View Post
I have been looking at Dubbo for past month. I can get a decent 3 bedder for 250K mark, with yield of 6-7%. The vacancy rates hover around 1-2% mark.

What are your thoughts on that area?

From what I hear there are parts of Dubbo that you definitelysteer clear of. Quite a lot of it, actually. You'd really have to make sure that you know the area you're buying into. Sorry, I've forgotten where the super-dodgy area is. They're trying to clean it up by selling it off.
I think Dubbo is still a gradual mover. Prices were really low about 3 years ago (of course) and it has gone up since then but still moving I believe. Put it this way - it has a long way to go.

Yep WattleIdo is correct. Dubbo is like a small inland capital city and has a complex market geography. There are areas to avoid and areas they are trying to clean up but policy limits on the kind of deals the Gov. want to do seem to be hamstringing any progress. Its a great market, good entry price, tight rentals, good diverse economic base, growing in population and capital values. But be careful there are some dud areas and dud properties too. Take your time, visit a few times, get some local or professional knowledge if you can before buying.

definites to avoid is the apollo estate

the yulong estate is now a thriving and pleasant area,

however until just a few years ago, it was the 'avoid at all costs'
suburb

I'm new to the forum but have learnt so much
Just wanted to have some input into the Dubbo conversation, I have 4 properties in Dubbo and they all are performing well BUT I think you should all avoid it cause I'm not done there yet :p

Cool Freemo.
Can I ask how long you've had your properties? Also: where are they? (But don't tell us yet if you don't want to.) I know what you mean about not giving too much away but thanks for contributing.;)

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been in Dubbo
We have a mix of East and West Dubbo properties, for a little over 12 months.

Last edited:
Investar has the median LIST price of 3x2x2 in Bathurst at $326,500. Without more info hard to say much more than that. Send me a PM if you like.

FYI did a automated valuation today (AVM through CBA) find them to usually be a bit conservative. They can be used for lending purposes up to 80%.

$307,000.

Purchase price was $265,000 Nov 2012.

FYI did a automated valuation today (AVM through CBA) find them to usually be a bit conservative. They can be used for lending purposes up to 80%.

$307,000.

Purchase price was $265,000 Nov 2012.

You saw the graph in the other thread?

8% for '12 and 7% for '13 1% for '14

So how you gonna use the 30k equity? :D

If you bought at end of '12 then you have outperformed the local market by a bit.

You saw the graph in the other thread?

8% for '12 and 7% for '13 1% for '14

So how you gonna use the 30k equity? :D

If you bought at end of '12 then you have outperformed the local market by a bit.

Yeah purchase at the end. Property I bought had been on the market for a fair while. Was very stale I watched for about 6months. I'm sure if it was fresh listing would of come close to its final asking price. I got it well under it's asking price which had come down over the 6months. I believe slight UMV but don't we all :)

This purchase I used a guarantor, will top up one loan and reduce the guarantor loan. $0 input for the purchase.

with rpdata, you can search based on owner name for a particular suburb and divide against total listing to get a percentage of HC

i think that prop you purchased is an absolute steal !!
a great buy indeed and would definitely reval 200+ these are the
buys that propel you forward .

port stephens and maitland council are expecting massive population growths
in the coming years . and are spending lots of $ to accommodate btw maitland city council in particular is very cashed up with the help of a 7% rate rise of 7 years ( ouch )

another great positive is the new maitland hospital located on metford rd metford. and massive extension to STOCKLAND green hills i strongly believe EAST MAITLAND and surrounds will be blue chip in less than 5 years and the places like raymond terrace wood berry tenambit metford stigma will drastically change

i think that prop you purchased is an absolute steal !!
a great buy indeed and would definitely reval 200+ these are the
buys that propel you forward .

port stephens and maitland council are expecting massive population growths
in the coming years . and are spending lots of $ to accommodate btw maitland city council in particular is very cashed up with the help of a 7% rate rise of 7 years ( ouch )

another great positive is the new maitland hospital located on metford rd metford. and massive extension to STOCKLAND green hills i strongly believe EAST MAITLAND and surrounds will be blue chip in less than 5 years and the places like raymond terrace wood berry tenambit metford stigma will drastically change

Thanks Theodore,
RT is a 20-30min either way to Newcastle or Maitland. Hope the ripple effect from will get to RT soon.
my 6 month lease with the same tenant is about to expire... They want to renew. The rental market is a bit soft across board incl RT. I am a bit greedy and requesting to add $5/wk...fingers crossed.

I'm still unsure about what to do with our Ashmont (Wagga) IP. How do others see the prospects for CG in the near future? I don't really feel confident TBH. Seems like there are many properties for sale at the moment but not many actually selling.

Sort of wishing we went for a metro IP for our first purchase now as we have done OK from our PPOR. Probably could've purchased 1-2 more IPs with the CG if we did.

Cimbom in hindsight I wished I'd bought in the burbs too. Although at the time the positive cash flow allowed us to buy more properties.

My land tax bill just came in and the value of the ashmont land is down 20k on last years figure. So not great for CG prospects.

I wonder if the fast speed rail that's being talked about at the moment will be anything otter than talk? That could make a big difference in wagga values.

I'm thinking of offering it to the tenants in case they want to buy it (they have done some repairs/work on it already) but this seems risky as I don't want them to get worried and move either. Tenants, let alone good ones, in this area are very hard to come by now. I can't see the gov't doing anything about high speed rail for another 20 years at least. We seem positively third world when it comes to building this kind of infrastructure.

Back