Registered Tax Accountant in Newcastle NSW area

Hi Everyone

Wondering if someone could help me out and recommend an excellent registered tax accountant in the Newcastle area. I have been selling on ebay and a complaince officer from the ATO rang me and advised I need to make a voluntary disclosure as I have not paid any tax relating to ebay in 2013. I have a daytime job and put that down on my return as normal but looks like I need to do all my tax again. She told me I have had sales of $113000 thats sales not profits and I sell cheap knick knacks so there are thousands of transactions. I also source my stock from China and receive an invoice in chineese which I cant read. I have kept some receipts for expenses but not all. I want to be able to claim as much back as I can for deductions. I drive the car to the post office daily for postage and im also wondering about buying a new car now to claim as a deduction how would that work out for me? Will I need to register for GST and can anyone recommend someone in the Newcastle area that has experience dealing with online sellers ebay etc. I would like to get this all sorted as quickly as possible does anyone know roughly what an accountant would charge for fixing a whole year up.

Thanks

This is a bit serious as you are running a business and not declaring any income or registered for GST with a turn over greater than $75k.

Ouch that will hurt.

Just the GST alone will be a world of pain once they add penalties. They will no doubt consider the manner in which you sought to evade/avoid/ accidentally forget about taxes. Ranging from being reckless through to evasion....That will determine how much the penalty is. That's were quality advice will assist.

1. DO NOT SPEAK TO ATO
2. Immediately appoint a tax adviser to act as the contact point
3. Allow them to speak to ATO.

A voluntary disclosure after they commence enquiries?? Unusual. I would be careful.

They will review your whole approach to record keeping...eBay can identify sales in Australia and those outside Australia which may help.

You may need a translator. Chinese language invoices wont be allowed as deductible against the sales without it. And evidence of the same amount actually paid. GST on imports needs to be checked too.

The ATO can impose large penalties for merely not maintaining records !! So be careful what you say to them.

I would look at a competent local firm if you want a local- Try PKF Lawler Partners.

Cost ?? Several thousand dollars possibly. Worth the investment to avoid the look of a court room. Yes that's right. Its a possibility this could result in a referral to the DPP if it goes pear shaped.

For all ebay sellers out there this is happening a bit at present.

The ATO obtained five years of data on ALL sellers using ebay, paypal gumtree etc and their address, names etc. The ATO have matched bank details too and traced identities in some cases to a front for a company or split businesses.

Basically if you sell more than $20K and not quoted an ABN to ebay they are checking it.

One client of mine tried selling some old business stock items on ebay and gave up. They were listed under their own name. ATO linked it to the business by use of a business credit card to pay listing fees etc we believe. Recently ATO asked for evidence ebay sales were incorporated into BAS. Easy to show they didn't sell items but as they said - How easy would it be to get caught ??

Last edited:
The lady I spoke to at the ATO advised there may be no penalty as long as I sort this out before they conduct an audit.

I wouldn't believe her statement for 1 second. "may be no penalty". Sorry I have seen ATO do this and then burn people. Sure they may try and bait a quick solution BUT its never that simple. Did she put that offer in writing ? I bet the answer is no.

I wouldn't believe her statement for 1 second. "may be no penalty". Sorry I have seen ATO do this and then burn people. Sure they may try and bait a quick solution BUT its never that simple. Did she put that offer in writing ? I bet the answer is no.

^ ^ +1 for what Paul said. Verbal agreements / advice means nothing if you have to rely on it sometime later.

Back