registering a domain name and SEO stuff

Hello, i want to regsiter a domain name and want to know what people think of SEO (search engine optimization) stuff when dealing with a hyphenated domain name.

Do people think it's better to have a hyphenated or un-hyphenated domain name in regards to SEO and google rankings?

I have a 2 word domain name i want to register. Maybe i should register both hyphenated and un-hyphenated versions.
As a basic rule, a friend has told me to never have more than one hyphen and also try and use a key word in the domain name.

with my personal experience un hyphenated always comes up more at the top of the list.

and your friend is right

if there is a key word in the domain than that word will trigger good hits, but if the key word is too common then u might sitll hit 2 pages back.

Simple words, easy to read and should be fine.

email me (or msn) if you want help registering ur domain

[email protected]

Hello, i want to regsiter a domain name and want to know what people think of SEO (search engine optimization) stuff when dealing with a hyphenated domain name.

Do people think it's better to have a hyphenated or un-hyphenated domain name in regards to SEO and google rankings?

I have a 2 word domain name i want to register. Maybe i should register both hyphenated and un-hyphenated versions.
As a basic rule, a friend has told me to never have more than one hyphen and also try and use a key word in the domain name.

Hi Shuggy,

I used to do that for a living but now out of it. But still have websites on first pages of search engines.

A few years back it used to make a difference if you have hyphenated domains as far as SEO is concerned but not now. The reason why you see more un-hyphenated domains at top of rankings is that more people book un-hyphenated domains. You can buy both and redirect one to another but that would be just from ease of use point of view and not rankings. Yes, always have your keyword in the domain name but more important than that would be to have good content on the website. I don't think that it makes any difference if you have one or more hyphens in domain name from SEO point of view. But it may be inconvenient for users to remember and type in.
If you want good rankings, just focus on content and you are halfway there. The rest is links, SEO friendly tags, correct keyword density, SEO friendly design etc. Have as much relevant content as possible. SEO can make a huge difference to your business.

Google Webmaster tools, & blog
has a huge section on SEO from google's perspective,
what the googlebot likes, structure, links, sitemaps, content, validity,
and what the googlebot downgrades for, bad links, flash, non-valid html, cloaking, sounds, autoruns,
Nobody else's thoughts on SEO really matter a *expletive deleted*.
once the site and its ownership are registered you have access to a large set of data from google

Google Webmaster tools, & blog
has a huge section on SEO from google's perspective,
what the googlebot likes, structure, links, sitemaps, content, validity,
and what the googlebot downgrades for, bad links, flash, non-valid html, cloaking, sounds, autoruns,
once the site and its ownership are registered you have access to a large set of data from google

Sorry Bob, beg to differ. While Google has good information on basics of SEO, it does not reveal its algorithm. Not that it is revealed anywhere but you do start getting some ideas if you gain knowledge from different sources over time. It does not tell you about a lot of things including links and how to go about increasing them. It does not tell you the importance of having your website in key directories. It does not tell you what keyword density to target. It does not tell you a lot which you cannot afford not to know. If someone has to really do well on Google, other sources of information including good newsletters, forums etc need to be explored to gain knowledge.

It's like saying if you go and read what's on NSW Department of Lands website, you don't need RPdata, Residex or forums like this.

Roopam

the department of lands have little to do with real estate, crown land ceases to be crown land long before residential sales take place
Google have everything to do with search engines,
your argument is ill-formed.

I made no mention of the search algorithm,
just instructions, simple instructions, given by Google to webmasters, to maximise site performance on google.
Those instructions list factors with negative influence, and positive influence. google call it google101
From the level of knowlege I assumed from the question in the op, I thought 101 level instructions would be helpful.
It was helpful to me setting up our site

The instructions work, immdiately.
We are on page one for all of our keywords
received 36 referrals from google yesterday.
We get 10+ applicants, for any vacancy
We have 7237 page views in July, and it is 12:39am on July 3,
We rank higher than the three largest rental companies in the Province, and they employ consultants.
We have no vacancies other landlords have up to 15%, whole vacant buildings, our rents are higher.

I think it works.

Last edited:
Hrm, I've been spending the last two weeks doing a new website that is currently on page 4 of google ... don't think its even been fully indexed yet by the spiders.

Be interesting to know how to get the thing to page 1, or whether it'll get there on its own - it didn't even come up in a google search at all last week. Hit #1 is just a blog entry.

Hrm, I've been spending the last two weeks doing a new website that is currently on page 4 of google ... don't think its even been fully indexed yet by the spiders.

Be interesting to know how to get the thing to page 1, or whether it'll get there on its own - it didn't even come up in a google search at all last week. Hit #1 is just a blog entry.

post it on digg and other social book marking sites pr6+ forum I used digitalpoint

I have got tonnes of key phrases on the front page of google using digg although this is only a quick fix. btw it's a myth I had a marketing site listed on the front page of google for 2yrs+

under relevant keywords key phrases got maybe 2 sales a week 3 if it was lucky way more sales with email advertising.

P.S
Your link on this forum is not going anywhere you need to remove the href=

post it on digg and other social book marking sites pr6+ forum I used digitalpoint
P.S
Your link on this forum is not going anywhere you need to remove the href=
Woops, well that's fixed now :eek:

Site is a bit new to throw it at digg yet, but that does sound like a good idea. Right now I'm still tweaking the theme and subcategories and stuff so I swear the site never looks the same two days running. Had someone else point out that Drupal was missing meta information so I had to go stick that in by hand. Its actually made the google adverts fractionally more targetted than they were before, not that they were ever particularly good. Reset all the project wonderful ads the other day and one is still blank ... grrr.

My PR seems to have gone from a 3 to a 4 some time when I wasn't looking at it, probably due to all this fussing I've been doing. Until the last few weeks I honestly hadn't touched the site At All for the best part of a year, been too busy fixing houses and being sleep deprived by nocturnal babies. The base site is now up to #4 hit on google (it was about #8 last post on this thread) while the addon site is still on page 4 so that one will probably change next time the spiders come round. My alexa rank was sliding too and its started going back up lately ....

Last edited:
the department of lands have little to do with real estate, crown land ceases to be crown land long before residential sales take place
Google have everything to do with search engines,
your argument is ill-formed.

Agreed that it wasn't a perfect analogy. But it's Department of Housing or Department of Lands concerned with real estate. They have guides like Steps to buying a home or A-Z of Home Purchase. http://www.housing.nsw.gov.au/Home+Buying+and+Building/Buying/Steps+to+Buying+a+Home.htm
Is that enough for a savvy investor?
Similarly Google is a search engine concerned with search results. And it likewise release some "official" information or do's and don't. Is that information enough?

The answer depends on how competitive you are trying to get?

Just as the the Home Buying guides may be enough for a buyer wanting to purchase a PPOR, the Google 101 information may be enough for a webmaster who has a single website with non-competitive or unique keywords.

If you are only fighting with a few tens of thousand of webpages, it's not hard to get to first page reading those tips from Google. What if your keywords are competing with millions of pages? Can you simply get to top with just "official" information of Google? I would think you require much more information than Google is officially interested in teaching for free.

I made no mention of the search algorithm,
just instructions, simple instructions, given by Google to webmasters, to maximise site performance on google.
Those instructions list factors with negative influence, and positive influence. google call it google101
From the level of knowlege I assumed from the question in the op, I thought 101 level instructions would be helpful.
It was helpful to me setting up our site

The instructions work, immdiately.
We are on page one for all of our keywords
received 36 referrals from google yesterday.
We get 10+ applicants, for any vacancy
We have 7237 page views in July, and it is 12:39am on July 3,
We rank higher than the three largest rental companies in the Province, and they employ consultants.
We have no vacancies other landlords have up to 15%, whole vacant buildings, our rents are higher.

I think it works.

Yes. it works. But it is basic inforation for a basic level SEO requirement.

Back