Registering a Trade Mark

Hi all,

This isn't directly related to property/investing, so I apologies in advance. I've just recently registered a business name and ABN, plus a domain name for my new online business. Being a new business venture, I am concerned about protecting my intellectual property, so currently looking at registering a series of trade marks to protect some or all of the following:

a) Business name
b) Domain name
c) Logo

I'm sure many of you own a business or company and would have been faced with similar issues, so I'd appreciate any help. I've already attended an introductory seminar on intellectual property held by IP Australia and also studied the IP Australia website (www.ipaustralia.com.au) back to front.

The main things I am not certain on are:

1) Whether or not the words I wish to register are allowed (for obvious reasons, I can't disclose the phrase in the forum)

2) There already exists a trade mark identical to the one I wish to register which is currently under examination and not yet approved, however the class of registration is different to my line of business. I think I should be able to register the same trade mark in a different class.

3) If I am not able to register the trade mark, what else can I do to protect my IP? It would be a shame to spend all that time and effort setting up the business, then having someone come and take it away from you.

If anyone has had experience in registering a trade mark, I'd be grateful hearing your stories on things such as problems experienced, time taken to register, etc...

I am yet to speak to a Trade Mark/IP Lawyer and plan to do so in the next day or so. If anyone has a lawyer in Melbourne they could recommend, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Ozi

Last edited:
Back