Registering budget accommodation with council?

Hi, under Brisbane City Council compliance guidelines how hard is it to actually register a 12 bedroom residential house close to a uni as budget accommodation so that students could rent out the rooms?

The house is currently registered as budget accommodation with the fire department and apparently up to mp2.1 standards, but it isn't registered as budget accommodation with the council.

If I were to purchase the property, what would my chances be of getting the place registered?

Has 2-3 off street parks, about 10m frontage, character residential zoning, but in an area where there are a fair few other registered budget accommodation houses.

My guess would be that it would be very hard to get it registered as say a boarding house. But office of fair trading said that houses with mainly students don't need to be registered as a boarding house. But the fire deparement said it still needs to be registered with council as budget accommodation as there are greater than 5 people there. Does budget accommodation need to comply under the same criteria as boarding house accommodation, i.e. have at least 20m frontage, and be at least an 800m2 block, with lots of off street parking, etc...?

Thanks any help is appreciated (I tried to contact council compliance about this and they still haven't rung back...)

You would need to get a material change of use to a multiunit dwelling for that site. It does not look like it was a historical use, ie boarding house. It appears to be a house that would align directly with AAD Design v BCC in Qld Court of Appeal.

If it was sold to you as budget accommodation that was a breach of contract, false and misleading representar and the agent and seller shoukd cover your losses.

Back