Registering random domain names

Registering random, unheard of domain names

Hi all...

Been considering to register random, funky domain names in order to generate ideas and perhaps greater ideas may be born due to taking action..

I was wondering (and I have noticed) that people do register domain names just because...

Have you done this before? Say for example I have two domain names with a slight spelling difference and hence a difference in meaning.

The only thing that comes in between is "mindset". I wonder...is it worth spending $24 x 2 on domain names (not knowing the future?)...Should I invest in both? Both seem like catchy domains to me...Just confused...

Also not sure yet if I should go for .com or .com.au :confused:

Edit: Also see there is a restriction on .com.au unless you have a registered business....Should that be an impediment? Websites let you register anyway.

Thoughts? Comments?

Last edited:
Domain names are so cheap these days, if you fancy it, register it.

I changed my hosting company a few years ago and the new hosting included a domain name free. So just for the hell of it I chose theverybestwebsiteintheworld.com
Havn't really figured out what to do with it yet. At the moment visiters can vote for what they think is the best website in the world, but not many people visit.

If you want to cater for Australians, register a .com.au if the world is your target register .com .

Go to godaddy.com

You can get expired domain names that are actually worth something - sometimes for as little as a few $$ - then u can flip it or alternatively create your own websites using affiliate marketing to generate income.

Would love to learn how to do this properly - went to a seminar about it for 2 hours but couldn't work out how to do it profitably.

I have registered a handful of .com.au domains without giving any ABN details.

It's easier and cheaper to go .com or .net though. most are only $8-9 a year to register. (I think my last .com.au was $15 for the year)

If you are aiming at Aussies get the .com as well as the .com.au - (if they are both available). It's cheap enough to do, and it covers all the bases.

There are companies who look at .com.au domain names without a .com who then purchase the .com - and send a letter charging a lot more for the .com.

I don't think so. I just registered one recently, albeit my name terryw.com.au and don't think I was asked for an ABN.

May be because it is your name. I believe the domain name should not be misleading. I register domain names for my clients. I always need to provide the business details. At least the BN.

Last edited:
You can register a .com.au or .net.au domain as a "sole trader", which I believe does not require you to register a BN ... but you would only be allowed to use your name as part of the domain name. Otherwise a BN, ACN or ABN would be required.

From NetRegistry's website:

According to auDA's regulations, .com.au or .net.au domains may only be registered to Australian sole traders, businesses or companies.

During the domain name registration you will be asked to supply an Australian Business Number (ABN), Australian Company Number (ACN), State Business Number, Trademark Number or Incorporated Association Number to prove eligibility.

I do know that some domain registrars are less strict on adhering to the auDA regulations and will let you get away with more - but be careful, if your domain is non-compliant, someone may be able to submit a complaint and have the domain de-registered.

Similarly, having a deregistered company as the registrant of the domain is likely to cause problems if challenged, so make sure you keep your domain updated (note that it does cost to change the registrant of a .au domain).

Only if the domain was valuable and worth something would it ever likely become an issue - but if you do value your .au domain, I suggest you do it correctly.

PS. please don't over-pay for domain names ... I still see companies paying $100+ for a 2 year registration of a .au domain, which is a complete ripoff in my opinion ($40 / 2 years or less is more like it).

PPS. please educate yourself about the people who run GoDaddy and the history of the company before choosing to use them for .com or other TLDs.

but be careful, if your domain is non-compliant, someone may be able to submit a complaint and have the domain de-registered.
My wife works for accommodation website takeabreak.com.au - I once accidentally typed it in as takebreak.com.au and was taken to a rival who had probably deliberately take the variant name. Takeabreak complained successfully and took over the variant domain name.

$1250 at last check to submit a complaint and get the domain transferred if successful. Some companies do it, some just can't be bothered.
.com far easier to deal with but a lot harder to find untaken ones

Not sure how valuable the .com or .com.au domain names will be worth in the future as a whole new level is on its way..

New top level domain names reveal the .future

Forget .com or .com.au. Last night names such as .shop, .football, .mcdonalds, .chanel, .ferrari and thousands more were officially announced as the governing body for internet domain names, ICANN, reached the most important milestone in its new Top Level Domain (or TLD) program.

There were 41 applications from Australian businesses - the banks were there with .cba, .nab and .anz. Media organisations such as .seven and .sbs. Universities such as .bond and .rmit. Australia Post highlighted its determination to embrace the next wave of the web with an application for .auspost.

Thanks for the responses...I did apply for an ABN. Not sure why I wasn't given it online. I'd wait for the post to come along :).

We still need an ABN for .com.au domains

@Sim, I registered for two domains and paid $48 for two years. I used crazydomains....I had registered another domain a few months ago that cost me $20 for 1 year only because it was a local company based in Sydney I believe...thought that was a rip off!

Not sure how valuable the .com or .com.au domain names will be worth in the future as a whole new level is on its way..

New top level domain names reveal the .future

The only impact on .com / .com.au will be if these new TLDs are made available cheaply and widely and are then widely accepted and recognised by domain owners and end-users.

There are already plenty of relatively cheap gTLDs available (eg .ws, .us, etc), but they don't seem to have made much of an impact on the popularity of .com ... I think .co is about the only new TLD to have done well recently - and that's more to do with the similarity/recognisability of the domain (there are lots of country 2LDs which use .co already, .co.nz, .co.uk, etc).

Most of these new TLDs are owned by large organisations who are not traditional domain registrars and are not necessarily interested in offering 2LDs to end-users, so there's not necessarily any greater availability coming from them.

Anyone who has bought a generic TLD and intends to offer it to end users will need to deal with the challenge of recovering their costs of A) purchasing the TLD and B) managing a registry, and given that .com's incredibly low purchase/renewal prices are based on extremely high volumes, I doubt that there will be many new TLDs which will be able to compete in the near future.

I wouldn't write off .com just yet - I think they will retain their premium status for quite a while.

Just as an aside, interesting fact I discovered the other day - according to wikipedia, about 16% of the economy of Tokelau, a territory of New Zealand in the South Pacific Ocean, is derived from selling domain registrations for their .tk TLD!

Just as an aside, interesting fact I discovered the other day - according to wikipedia, about 16% of the economy of Tokelau, a territory of New Zealand in the South Pacific Ocean, is derived from selling domain registrations for their .tk TLD!

Just checked it out on google maps, They only have one village and a road about 3km long. Population 1400.

Perfect place for a very relaxing holiday.

Back