Registering random domain names

Just as an aside, interesting fact I discovered the other day - according to wikipedia, about 16% of the economy of Tokelau, a territory of New Zealand in the South Pacific Ocean, is derived from selling domain registrations for their .tk TLD!
I thought Tuvalu (.TV) would have a bigger income from domain names- about $2M in 2009 according to CIA Factbook- significant for a small country, but nowhere near what I thought it may be. It's possible that it's increased since then though.

I hold around 5000 domain names, for all different industries, but 95% are good quality domain holdings.

Even peoples names can be good for investing.

For such the names can come from big brother, australian idol x factor etc. If someone wins and goes big they need a domain and may not have one already.

In the US this is very big and quiet annoying as I have had to purchase domain names from there before with a premium.

Just be careful as domain names can be a big waste of money as they need to be high enough content and simple for people to remember. Like no need to get a www.cheap-shoes-australia.com.au as this is too hard to remember.

so ss is there to think about how to invest in re but where does one go to learn about investing in domains names and such? i wouldn't know where to begin.

thanks oz, its a whole new world for me!

Anytime. All the regulars are very helpful and genuine. Much like those here at Somersoft. Some big guns and even some that are apart of syndicates.

Just wait until you get addicted to the drops! 12:59pm est will never be the same! ;)

Just bumping to see if anyone does invest in domain names. I have heaps because they relate to my online businesses, but also have about a dozen high quality domains I'm holding.

A few popped up yesterday which I thought were very interesting. All the capital cities in .net.au format. Sydney.net.au, Melbourne.net.au, Perth.net.au, Goldcoast.net.au etc. The top 2 (of course) were Sydney and Melbourne which went for about $8k each - Personally think those would be a very good buy. Turn it into a directory site and you would make that money back with adsense. Still they are .net.au but I don't think that matters for these keywords. Massive difference though between that and the .com.au of our capital cities. Same company recently put up a sale of the following for a price of $1mil+ sydney.com.au, melbourne.com.au, brisbane.com.au, adelaide.com.au and auction.com.au.

Also late last year I was gobsmacked to see nike.com.au was up for auction. Can't believe Nike somehow forgot to renew the domain. It ending up selling for about $3k back to Nike. But in this instance, if someone did manage to register it you can guarantee Nike would have taken them to court and won the rights to the domain.

Back