Regrets and mistakes.

I have a habit of asking the same question who are 10 years ahead of me. Then try to see if I would feel that way in 10 years time. If yes then try to make the right changes now.

Dont worry, Terryw will drag any 10 year old thread up and make you feel better/help you out. Be sure to ask a question regarding trusts in the thread starter.

:p

pinkboy

I was looking for a new car. Only had $5k to spend. Saw an advertisement for a block of land at Windsor for $5k, and then bought the car. :(

....Skater, how big was the block? :/

No idea. It was a long time ago. I've been married for 26 years & it was several years before then, so maybe 30 years ago.

In a similar vein, Hubby saw a block going cheap somewhere down the coast. It might have been Gerringong, but not sure. I think he was 18 at the time. His father told him to buy the car, & he did.

If either of my kids asked should they get the land or a nice car, I'd say GET THE LAND!!!!!

This sounds sensible. Can you give me an example or two?
Most of them are not like definite plans but rather taking mental notes.
Anyway, here are few examples.
During my early 20s:
People in my circle who were in 30s wished they got married and had children in late 20s or early 30s.
Many wished they completed their studies (masters or PHD) before hitting 30 (or before getting married or before having kids).

During my early 30s:
People in 40s wished they had 3 children instead of 1 or 2. Family support or their financials restricted them.
Many wished they started their investment journey lot earlier.
Many wished they gave first preference to their health.

Almost 40 (now):
Many say how they missed their children's young age (say up to age 13). They wish they spent more quality time with them.
People in 50s are not really in a demanding position at work.
People who didn't participate in group sports or serious hobby are kind of struggling as their children grow older.

Above may not be suitable for everyone or fit everybody. I guess, we tend to notice more about the things which are important to us.

Good stuff. You have the most important sources of joy in your life. ;)

I wish I'd listened more carefully.
I've done pretty well but have always suffered from 'selective listening'.

Most of them are not like definite plans but rather taking mental notes.
Anyway, here are few examples.
During my early 20s:
People in my circle who were in 30s wished they got married and had children in late 20s or early 30s.
Many wished they completed their studies (masters or PHD) before hitting 30 (or before getting married or before having kids).

During my early 30s:
People in 40s wished they had 3 children instead of 1 or 2. Family support or their financials restricted them.
Many wished they started their investment journey lot earlier.
Many wished they gave first preference to their health.

Almost 40 (now):
Many say how they missed their children's young age (say up to age 13). They wish they spent more quality time with them.
People in 50s are not really in a demanding position at work.
People who didn't participate in group sports or serious hobby are kind of struggling as their children grow older.

Above may not be suitable for everyone or fit everybody. I guess, we tend to notice more about the things which are important to us.

Devank

The very best thing you can do right now is look forward, and not look back. You are still on the good side of half your life.

Do today what can shape tomorrow, because nothing can fix what happened yesterday.

Worry only your m2.

pinkboy

The very best thing you can do right now is look forward, and not look back. You are still on the good side of half your life.
My last post wasn't about my regrets. They were the 'regrets' of my circle of people who were 10 years ahead of me as WattleIdo asked for few examples.

My regrets centre around not correctly placing the boundary between:

"persisting and trying to turn things around"

and

"time to cut losses"

Persistence is a valuable quality. So is knowing when it's best to quit while you're "only a bit behind" and living to fight another day.

And this has only started dawning on me in the last few years. Energy is a limited resource and must be rationed appropriately.

Back