rejuvenating old threads

Hi Admins,

There is a wealth of material on this forum and i dare say most of it goes unread by many people. How about this as a thought:

A new thread area, similar to the "archives" area, where an editor or admin person, digs out one old thread a week and makes it available for people to read and maybe respond to. It is sometimes good going back to the old threads and see what has changed, and itmay also be good for newbies as they will then get to see some of the previously submitted material that they may not think of trying to search on.

I have noticed on some rare threads that date back a few years, that it is interesting to see what people wrote at the time, and then see if they further respond with the power of hindsight. In addition, not everyone searches on various topics and there are also some topics that some people may never search.

What do you think of this suggestion? That is, a new area, similar to the archives where one old thread from years gone by is copied to in the hope of rejuventing it or just making it more accessible or visible for further comment.

I guess it could be something like the news columns that show articles from 5 years or 10 years ago - but instead, a thread from 6-12 months ago.

Just a thought.

g

One idea for looking at older threads is to sort by their 'star rating' in the various sub forums, that way you can read all of the older 5 star threads, and there are some real gems to be discovered.

Why cant you dig out an old thread yourself :confused: Why use a mod to do it. Anyone can do it without the need for a special section.

Why cant you dig out an old thread yourself :confused: Why use a mod to do it. Anyone can do it without the need for a special section.

What Rix said.

All you need to do is to add a new reply to an old thread.

Speaking for myself, I'm not very active in property investment ATM until the business gets more profitable. So don't depend on mods to be switched on to what is happening now.

There is a new version of the forum software which has just been released with many new features - it is a major upgrade.

Once the software stabilises a bit and I'm confident in running it on this large and busy site (and have had the time to get it set up - unfortunately this upgrade requires significant effort) ... there will be plenty of opportunity for us to add new features which might do something along the lines you've suggested.

One idea for looking at older threads is to sort by their 'star rating' in the various sub forums, that way you can read all of the older 5 star threads, and there are some real gems to be discovered.

Not all of them show up when you do this. I was looking for one the other day, that I had started. I knew it was a five star thread, so thought that would be the quickest way to find it, but it did not show up so found it on a word search.

The problem for telling a newbie to just search for something, is that (like most of us, really) often they don't know what they don't know.

Who is going to search for Nivia's "Teach Us To Fish" post, or Skater's "Importance Of Having A Buffer" (which is, at least, five stars but I don't know how many people actually search by that?); without knowing to look for it, first?

These do get bumped naturally from time to time, which is great. There is a wealth of information in the depths of this board. I don't know if we need a weekly featured thread, but I can see some sort of merit in the idea. A lot of time and effort needed by the mods (who already contribute so much), though, so not sure how it would work...?

Nivia's post is a classic. I just checked for my old one "The Importance of Having a Buffer" too, which I had completly forgotten about, and it does not show up when you do a search for five star ratings either. The other one I did a search for was "The Latest Project".

Do only the recent five star ones show up?

This is a great idea, I love reading old threads. You spend so much time working through all the issues that affect you on this journey and some of it gets forgotten again.

Really just need to have a co-ordinated effort my members to find and revive old threads but not too many at once. One per day or per week, maybe, per week is probably best to start with and see how it goes.

Cheers
Graeme

Back