Religious investing scams

Adults need to take more responsibility for their own financial literacy. The only real victims are children who are subject to alot more than losing money by people who hide behind religion!

I love this quote from Pastor Longfield in the Brisbane Times:

"I don't believe Glenn misused his position. I have heard no examples of him going around the church saying, 'I'm a pastor, so you should invest in my company'."

Pastor Longfield needs some serious education about what constitutes conflict of interest. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that explicit to constitute abuse of his position. :rolleyes:

Im a third generation atheist.

My family was living in Finland in the 1920s. There was a very poor family next door - they had nothing but a house, a single cow and a baby. The government tax collector came to them - they said we have nothing to give. He left empty handed.

The church tax collector came to them - they said we have nothing to give. He took the cow anyway. The baby then died of malnutrition.

My whole family went atheist that year and have been ever since. I tend to think of organised religion as 10,000 year old ongoing scam - but thats just my opinion.

However, here the discussion is about organised religion... Every facet of human life has it's opportunists etcm, so logically, religion would be no different

The classic combination of the "Jesus want's YOU to have a BMW" and "property investing is ALWAYS profitable and no-risk" ways-of-thinking will always end in tears.

Still if you fall for one, no surprises you fall for the other.

i'm a "first generation" ahtiest - and a practising one at that.

just like those annoying jehovahs, i would like to door knock all households and point out the problems with organised religion, prophets, messiahs and the spoken word.

amen.

i'm a "first generation" ahtiest - and a practising one at that.

just like those annoying jehovahs, i would like to door knock all households and point out the problems with organised religion, prophets, messiahs and the spoken word.

amen.

AMEN to that!!

I saw Richard Dawkins' documentary on "The God Delusion" on Compass a few months ago. He's a fundamentalist atheist, at least as intolerant and disrespectful of others' views as the most rabid fundamental religious people.

I'll take a respectful, tolerant, loving religious person over a hate-filled, bigoted, disrespectful atheist any day.

I quite like the 'we are just part of a simulation' explanation for us being here. Sort of like a '2nd life computer game' except we are the 2nd life :)

I saw Richard Dawkins' documentary on "The God Delusion" on Compass a few months ago. He's a fundamentalist atheist, at least as intolerant and disrespectful of others' views as the most rabid fundamental religious people.

I'll take a respectful, tolerant, loving religious person over a hate-filled, bigoted, disrespectful atheist any day.

I think I fall into the "respectful, tolerant, loving atheist" category :D.

I have seen plenty of hate-filled, bigoted, disrespectful religious people too.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Its not about religion - definitely not every church goer fell for this pastors scam. Tomorrow my boss (IT manager) can start an investing group and propose it to our team, but its upto us individuals to see the pros and cons of it and make a decision. And if the investments of the investing club go bad I should not blame all IT managers or the world of IT itself.

Back