Relocation: Phil Down Under

Good show. Same with Selling Houses Australia (that guy is a straight talker!)
Shame its about 8 or 9 months behind though - when they quote the prices it was when the Aussie dollar was buying between 45 to 50 pence or so - now its buying closer to 60p pence so anyone thinking of making the move is a bit worse off.

Yeh, love the show, especially as the hubbie is English. I get lounge chair comments to go with the show always somewhere along the lines of "youve made the best decision of your life mate" and " cant find a beach like that in the UK" and "your kids are going to thank you for life".

Its interesting actually to see the look on the couples faces when they see what their money buys them here as opposed to the same amount in the UK. The couple who had settled in Perth had their mouths wide open when they were looking at newish 4x2x2 houses in a beachside suburb for the same price as their old 3 bed dogbox terrace in whatever place they came from (I think it took them a couple of hours to the seaside from their old house in the UK).

Which throws up the old debate of prices in Australia. Comparing what you actually get for your money in the UK as opposed to here, sizes, locations etc not to mention quality of living.

My hubbie has been here since 2003, I met him in 2004 and there is no way you would get him back there. About the only things he misses is the pubs (alot more social in the pubs there) and of course the football. The football is the main reason we have Foxtel actually. He eveN has my 3.5 year old daughter watching with him and she chants "L I V E R P O O L" and cheers "COME ON LIVERPOOL".

Oh and "Selling Houses Australia" , looove that show. Andrew Winter is so brutally honest with those people on the show, and their agents still try to be diplomatic and tell the vendors what they want to hear.

ooooo - stop it you guys! i refuse to get foxtel because i'd be spending every waking moment watching the property shows. stayed at my sil's the other week and we were both glued to the tele from 4-12pm every night!!

i love the property shows.

Its interesting actually to see the look on the couples faces when they see what their money buys them here as opposed to the same amount in the UK. The couple who had settled in Perth had their mouths wide open when they were looking at newish 4x2x2 houses in a beachside suburb for the same price as their old 3 bed dogbox terrace in whatever place they came from (I think it took them a couple of hours to the seaside from their old house in the UK).

Which throws up the old debate of prices in Australia. Comparing what you actually get for your money in the UK as opposed to here, sizes, locations etc not to mention quality of living.

That's what surprised me the constant comparison on how cheap houses are in Australia compared to the UK. However not exactly comparing apples with black pudding.

why did it surprise you? the fact that they did it or the fact that they were comparably cheap? $500k AUD won't buy much in the ol dart

why did it surprise you? the fact that they did it or the fact that they were comparably cheap? $500k AUD won't buy much in the ol dart

Maybe surprising is not the word but refreshing. All you typically hear in the media is how expensive australian property is.

ooooo - stop it you guys! i refuse to get foxtel because i'd be spending every waking moment watching the property shows. stayed at my sil's the other week and we were both glued to the tele from 4-12pm every night!!

i love the property shows.

OOH well then, can I also temp you with:

Relocation relocation,
Fantasy Homes Down Under
Build a new Life
Grand Designs
My House is worth what?
The Home Show
Cowboy Trap (new show)
Property Ladder
Britains Dream Homes
Dirty Business
?????????????????????????????:D

The property shows and the lifestyle chanel is the only reason I switch the damned thing on, most of the other stuff is crap for me. Which reminds me...its Wednesday...........Selling Houses is on tonight.........Cant wait.

Axe the Agent is also enjoyable but interesting how some of them end up back with agents- just goes to show you that not everyone is a born salesman or woman :D

I love all these shows and it was the only reason I got Foxtel- the kids all moan and groan when I switch to Lifestyle as they can't understand why I have to watch shows about houses when I'm in them most of the week! Phil and Kirsty are obvious favourites but Andrew Winter is great too. Love his honesty and can't you just cringe when you see some of the responses from the proud house owners! Vive la differences ;)

Both shows are favourites of mine and the wife's. She is from Scotland so loves the British property and garden shows. Selling houses Australia is one of the few property shows copied from the UK that is better than the original show. In the British version Andrew Winter did it all on his own with no Charlie Albone or Shayne Blayze-Vaughan. Mind you the need for a landscape gardener in the UK is extremely limited.
They recently did an episode in our suburb and we were pleasantly surprised at the profile they gave it.
I keep all the episodes and love looking back at the reno's that they do
The only thing my wife misses from the UK is her family and friends. She loves Australia and Melbourne too much to move back there but when we do visit it brings home the reality that the lifestyle in Australia is much better for the average person than in the UK. Mind you the overuse of the term "Aussie battler" erks her to some degree. I can't disagree with her.

Andrew Winter is an absolute classic. I rate the Selling Properties shows as good as Property Ladder now.
Its funny when you watch the shows where they are trying to sell in Mid 2008 , either on Relocation or Property Ladder. I always scream at the TV "sell it quick!!" - the benefit on hindsight (and what happens to the UK market mid 2008 onwards) is a wonderful thing.

Back