Remember as a buyer the REA doesn't work for you

Remember as a buyer the REA doesn't work for you. How many times have I read this or even said this myself, but really is this true?

REA's know they need to get listings and this is when they put on the charm with the vendor, but seriously if they can't turnover the properties they are sunk.

Remember as a buyer you are not under pressure.

Say what???

You heard it right. As a buyer you hold the cards, not all of them but enough of them to be in control of the negotiations. Remember you can walk away, only the vendor is committed to selling the property. Now don't get me wrong here, the vendor does not have to accept just any offer but you will be surprised by just how flexible some of them can be.

The REA will try and get you to make a higher offer, but unless you have your heart set on the property then you negotiate and if it doesn't work for you, you can walk away.

This is not the same for the vendor. Sure they want to sell for the highest price but they frequently rely on the advice of the professional they have hired to sell the property. However let's not be under any false assumptions here, this professional is not strictly working for them. In fact they have two or three hats, and have to balance all interests in order to get a sale.

Firstly they have been engaged under contract by the vendor to sell the property this is an obvious relationship.

Secondly they must work with buyers in order to get offers and sell the property. This is where they will use their skills as a negotiator to get the highest price.

And finally they have sales targets to meet, this is regardless of whether they work for themselves or other people. They have to sell in order to keep food on the table.

So a REA alligiance is spread pretty thin. This is one of the reasons they can get a bad name because Joe Public doesn't really take the time to understand the complexities of the relationships.

If the REA only works for the vendor why do they apply so much pressure on them during negotiations? Sure they put some pressure on the buyer by implying that they may miss out, but there is only one party who he knows has a reason for wanting the sale to happen.

The REA does not work for the vendor, nor does he work for the buyer. At the end of the day they have a contractural obligation to market the property on behalf of the vendor, and they will sell the property for the highest price they can while meeting the other targets of cashflow and turnover.

As a potential buyer you are the only person who can assist the REA to meet their targets. You can be their next best friend. They don't need to know how much you really want the property. You need them to know you are willing to walk away, that your offer is only valid for a limited time, and that you have other properties which you are looking at if this one doesn't go ahead.

This makes you the main player, gives you the power in the negotiation and gets the REA working for you.

Regards

Andrew

Firstly they have been engaged under contract by the vendor to sell the property this is an obvious relationship.
Secondly they must work with buyers in order to get offers and sell the property. This is where they will use their skills as a negotiator to get the highest price.
And finally they have sales targets to meet, this is regardless of whether they work for themselves or other people. They have to sell in order to keep food on the table.

Andrew, I think this is a pretty fair assessment of what REA's have to accomplish to earn a living. The selling agent has to, as you say, wear a number of hats and the system in which they work almost forces them to exhibit symptoms of schizophrenia. i.e. get the highest price for the vendor, make the buyer feel like they are getting a bargain and hoping it all hangs together so they can get reach sales targets and get paid.

Many would say that an agent cannot do all this properly and so effectively is only working for one person - himself.:(

The other points you make about the buyer being in control is only true in a buyer's market which we have not been in for the last 12+ months in parts of Sydney & Melbourne. However, it may be that we are entering such a market now, which makes my job as a BA a little less stressful :)

Andrew,
What you say, has a lot of truth to it.
I also believe that the REA also doesn't work for you, when you are purchasing.(or selling)
It is just the Vendor paying them.

After buying a few properties, and looking at more, thru a REA, they can be a pitiful bunch.
If we were to sell, we wouldn't go thru them, it would be done privately.

In our experience, they are lazy, sneaky and deceitful.
There is a property we were mildly interested in.We emailed them asking for more info..received nothing. Went to their office.."oh sorry, it has an offer and a back up offer".
Not true..still on the market.

If I was the owner of that property I would be furious.
I would be instructing my REA to keep showing the property (it is vacanct, so no scheduling problems) until it went unconditional.
It is not an expensive property..so they don't care so much.

This is why we are buying more and more properties privately.

The other points you make about the buyer being in control is only true in a buyer's market which we have not been in for the last 12+ months in parts of Sydney & Melbourne. However, it may be that we are entering such a market now, which makes my job as a BA a little less stressful :)

In a sellers market the offers align or in some cases exceed the vendors expectations. This makes it easier for the REA as there is little need to condition the vendor in regard to price. However the vendor still needs to make a decision on when they should accept or reject an offer, and they will rely heavily on the REA to make this call.

As a potential buyer you still have the ability to apply pressure in a sellers market by giving the vendor a limited time to accept the offer. You are unlikely to get a bargain however you should be able to secure a property without paying more than the vendor expected.

Simply put, regardless of external factors a buyer always brings something to the bargaining table and should never give away negotiating chips to the other parties.

Regards

Andrew

In a sellers market the offers align or in some cases exceed the vendors expectations. This makes it easier for the REA as there is little need to condition the vendor in regard to price.
Yes & No. In a hot market (a seller's market), sales can often be achieved within hours of a vendor being signed up to the REA. The vendor then is left feeling that they sold their place too cheaply. This can be just as challenging for a REA to convince their vendor that they got the right price.

As a potential buyer you still have the ability to apply pressure in a sellers market by giving the vendor a limited time to accept the offer.
As a buyer there are some bargaining points, I agree. Limiting time to accept (offers with expiry), can be one of them, but again in a hot market, from experience, I can tell you that is unlikely. If they don't sell to you, then there will be a dozen buyers lined up on Saturday all fighting over the property. But there are others, such as rent back periods, quick or delayed settlements, etc.

You are unlikely to get a bargain
True.

however you should be able to secure a property without paying more than the vendor expected.
Yes but not always in my experience. But it depends on the area. I've seen vendors pale & shaking having received offers of $30-40K more than they expected in their wildest dreams (or the advice of their REA).

Simply put, regardless of external factors a buyer always brings something to the bargaining table and should never give away negotiating chips to the other parties.
Absolutely agree Andrew.

Cheers, Alan

The minute they have the listing signed then the REA works for themselves.

Anyone who thinks they work for the vendor has never been subject to conditioning to accept whatever offer is out there.

The REA wants it sold asap so he can move on. He doesn't care if the vendor gets $10K more or less.

All very good points, I like to look at it this way:

In a seller's market (prices going up) the REA works for the the vendor.
In a buyers market (prices gone down) the RA works for the buyer.
In a depressed market it's easy (well i reckon anyway) to use an REA to negotiate down the vendor.

Anyone who thinks they work for the vendor has never been subject to conditioning to accept whatever offer is out there.

The REA wants it sold asap so he can move on. He doesn't care if the vendor gets $10K more or less.

Hey Simon :D

Have to disagree with you here buddy - of course there's going to be examples of REA's engaging in high pressure conditioning to vendors (you only have to watch one of the Auction shows on TV to see plenty of this) and REA's who just want to move stock, but there's also plenty of agents who work hard to achieve top dollar for their vendors. I know, because I've been on both sides of the coin several times now.

One of the agents who sold a property for me some years ago actually achieved our "acceptable price" from a buyer (the only one interested) and, though she knew that we would accept it, pushed the buyer for another 24hrs and squeezed another $5K out of them. How is that not working for the vendor?

I think we need to be careful to avoid generalizations on a site like this that tar all REA's with the same brush. It's simply not fair nor true.

Behind the scenes:

Offers are presented to vendors with recommendations with which ones to take if any.

It's not always the highest offer that is taken, it is the person that seems more likely to settle. I have recommended that a vendor take a lower offer over a higher one because the purchaser disclosed that he was insecure about his job and people were being "laid off". No job, no finance and no settlement equals bad choice to make.

Purchasers are always pushed for a little bit more. Even if there is a $20K difference between one offer and the next, the highest offer is always told, to present their best and highest offer. Up to them what they do but yes we work in the best interest of the vendor.

Use a buyer's agent, they work for the purchaser. In reverse of the above.

Yep
This is my experience, and all of them have been the same.
They work for themselves no one else.

How do you find them? The websites for property owners to sell privately are so far pretty pitiful.

Well...since it is MY job to find the properties, it is a little more than word of mouth, even though that is part of it.
It is hours and hours of scouring Kijiji (simiar to Gumtree), and also when you're out for a drive there are lots of properties with "house for sale" signs.
We have websites where people can list their homes privately too.

We go after "cheap" properties, because that is where the best cashflow is.

The extra bonus of private deals, is they are more open to "Vendor Financing" without a large downpayment. Or whatever creative
financing you can explain to them.
Have them finance the Downpayment etc.
Installment payment for the whole property (without or low interest)

Don't just use the REA selling the property, but pump other REAs for information as well. Sometimes this provides a useful reality check.

Back