Rememberance Day

I was beavering away this morning and glanced down at the computer clock in the bottom corner of the screen ......and remembered.

Attachments

• rememberance.jpg
    rememberance.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 238
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Was a bit saddened today, my new office of around 70 people didnt even raise an eyelid. My associated next door and I made sure we stepped off our computers for respect whilst everyone else thought was are these two weirdos doing! not a good state of affairs :-(

Just the three in the department today at 11am.

One on annual leave, the other off at the remembrance day service. We all stopped, all the office banned from making/taking phone calls. In an office of almost 50 staff it was like it shut down..

Was a bit saddened today, my new office of around 70 people didnt even raise an eyelid. My associated next door and I made sure we stepped off our computers for respect whilst everyone else thought was are these two weirdos doing! not a good state of affairs :-(

I would have said something...:mad:

Such apathy disgusts me to my very core, particularly when some of our fallen are being interred today.

Lest we forget.

My workplace of 4000 all stopped - not a keyboard tap to be heard.

We also had an announcement at 10.30 that it was approaching, so everyone knew.

Try to also remember that for some families, like Ash Birt's, Rememberance Day will be 365 days of the year for the rest of their life.

I think Australians recognise and place more emphasis on remembering the fallen on ANZAC day.

My children's school held a service, as they do for ANZAC day, however I wonder how many children in that hall yesterday understood how Remembrance Day actually came about? Do Australian school children have any education re Australia's involvement in wars over the years? My kids are fairly well informed as they share my great interest in war history. They also have relatives who have served and are currently serving. Sadly though, it seems that school teaches them very little.

Personally, I find this a shame.

Do Australian school children have any education re Australia's involvement in wars over the years? My kids are fairly well informed as they share my great interest in war history. They also have relatives who have served and are currently serving. Sadly though, it seems that school teaches them very little. .

Yes they do teach them in history. There's always subjects in High School for those who want to learn more about it. But I think it is always good to move forward and learn how to be progressive rather than dwelling on the past. Remember yes, but dawdle, not.

I think Australians recognise and place more emphasis on remembering the fallen on ANZAC day.

My children's school held a service, as they do for ANZAC day, however I wonder how many children in that hall yesterday understood how Remembrance Day actually came about? Do Australian school children have any education re Australia's involvement in wars over the years? My kids are fairly well informed as they share my great interest in war history. They also have relatives who have served and are currently serving. Sadly though, it seems that school teaches them very little.

Personally, I find this a shame.

It's not just up to schools to teach our children... having said that, the PC brigade have probably interfered in the teaching of 'warmongering'

Just read the article in the link 'Battler' posted :mad:

I'd like to know what bloody transport company that was and who the damned boss was that gave the guy a written disciplinary notice.

Then I'd like to know who the two complainants were so I could give them a brief history lesson and another one about respect, particularly for the fallen no matter in what conflict, or for what country.

It's not about glorifying conflict - it's about remembering how bloody lucky we are.

PIGS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

It's not just up to schools to teach our children... having said that, the PC brigade have probably interfered in the teaching of 'warmongering'

I never said I thought it should be the sole responsibility of schools. My kids are only primary school aged and, with the exception of Gallipoli (which they were taught about in school), the history they know is what they have learnt from their home environment, travel, family trips to museums, etc. However, if schools are going to have remembrance ceremonies for such days then maybe they could explain why they're having them. I don't see it as dwelling on the past or even learning from past mistakes, I see it as simply providing these kids with a bit of general knowlege.

It's my suspicion that the 'PC brigade' have also grabbed hold of it.

Just read the article in the link 'Battler' posted :mad:

I'd like to know what bloody transport company that was and who the damned boss was that gave the guy a written disciplinary notice.

Then I'd like to know who the two complainants were so I could give them a brief history lesson and another one about respect, particularly for the fallen no matter in what conflict, or for what country.

It's not about glorifying conflict - it's about remembering how bloody lucky we are.

PIGS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I agree with you, if it is true... but then I also wonder if this is a "today tonight" type of beat up story. I dont know.. I'm too suspicious these days!!

I think we ask too much of our teachers....and agree that they sometimes put their own agenda on things where they shouldn't.

Parents should take responsibility to teach their kids as well. My teenage son went on a tour of the Western Front with his army cadet unit 2 years ago. He came back with a new understanding of the sacrifices made by people not much older than him. I think that experience will stay with him for life.

Back