REMINDERS... Everyone please read this!

Just a couple of timely reminders about Signatures and Quoting...

I've just been reading threads, and there are a few people who's signatures are too long. I usually PM everyone individually, but this time there are a few, so I thought it was time for a reminder.

The 'rules' for signatures can be found HERE

Please note the number of lines is in total, blank lines count. The reason behind the limit is so that posts don't become too long and so that we can maximise the number of posts per page to assist slow loading dialup times.

The other reminder is about quoting.

For those who may be unaware, and seemingly there are a few :rolleyes: There's a little button at the bottom of each thread that says 'reply'. There is NO NEED to use the 'quote' button unless you ACTUALLY want to quote what a previous person is saying.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT use the quote button to fully quote the post immediately before yours in it's entirety. It makes it slower to load for the dialup people, and generally takes up unnecessary space.

If you do use the 'quote' facility, please delete those parts of the quoted text to which you are not replying.

Generally, be considerate of people on dialup.

Thanks

asy :D

asy said:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT use the quote button to fully quote the post immediately before yours in it's entirety...

If you do use the 'quote' facility, please delete those parts of the quoted text to which you are not replying.
It's not only people on dialup. It's people reading the reply. Quoting an entire post will annoy people- and make them less likely to hang around to read your post.

If you quote, make sure you only include the relevant part of the post you are quoting.

Seems a few people may have missed this.

There's still a bevy of overquoting going on.

Please stop. I'm removing any I see now. It's got ridiculous.

asy :D

Actually not a bad idea to revive this thread as there is still to much overquoting going on as far as I am concerned and it is a bit of a pain reading through it.

If you do use the 'quote' facility, please delete those parts of the quoted text to which you are not replying. asy :D

Perhaps an explanation of HOW to delete might help. Until recently (after finally nailing down my 22 year old son to come & show me how), I never quoted anything because I couldn't figure out how to quote - let alone how to only quote PART of a post!!:D
We're not all computer savvy young guns you know!:rolleyes:

Bump!

I certainly agree with Asy on this matter. Quoting a long post and then virtually saying "I agree" does sound a waste of bandwidth.:)

How to cut up a quote?

I simply cut and paste the html tags so cut everything including the square brackets [. The bit from the top of the post is the start, it has "sqaure bracket quote equals username semicolan post number" in it and the bit at the bottom is the end, the "sqaure bracket, forward slash, quote, square bracket".

So you cut the start and put it at the start of all the little bits you want to quote and then you paste the end section at the end of all the bits you want to quote and then use the preview post button to check it.

Ctrl + C --- used to cut
Ctrl + V --- used to paste

or just right click with the mouse and select from menu

hope that helps.

cheers
Graeme

Even easier than quoll's suggestion...

After clicking on 'quote', simply delete whatever is not relevant to your quote, making sure to leave the [quote = username ] at the beginning and the [ / quote] at the end.

Agree easier

After clicking on 'quote', simply delete whatever is not relevant to your quote, making sure to leave the [quote = username ]
putting spaces in there makes it more readable thany my text.
at the beginning and the [ / quote] at the end.
depends on whether you want to answer each bit individually.

After clicking on 'quote', simply delete whatever is not relevant to your quote,
or reply to the whole lot in one area.

hope this helps others to edit their posts.

thanks fokas. kudos

cheers
graeme

This doesn't need a bump as its sticky - but should be reread by some!
Seriously, what is the point of quoting the entire post before you? Especially annoying if the previous post was massive...we've already read it once, just post your reply!

[/rant] :cool:

Back