Removal of Brenda's Thread

Somersoft is first and foremost a property forum and although other subjects can be discussed in the Coffee Lounge. Certain discussions fall within the boundaries of “No Go Areas”…..this includes attacks on Public Companies.

After Admin/Mod discussions it was decided that due to certain comments made, it was best to remove the thread.

Hopefully members understand the reasoning behind its removal.

Ruby :)

Just out of interest, can you enlighten me as to what classifies as an attack? Please PM if that is more appropriate.

Last edited:
which spann thread was removed? I can still see one active?

No, not that one. I've got to dig out my notes and post back to PS re PBW strategy on that thread.

The deleted thread was where PS and FXI were getting a bit hammered. I'd like to know what line was crossed.

I'm also interested to know why "attacks" on public companies are a problem (or maybe it's just this particular public company) but similar attacks on seminar presenters don't seem to be, judging by the Dymphna Boholt thread still being there.

GP

A "No go" area is where a comment may be seen to be potentially libellious.

It can be a fine line. But it was by mutual agreement that the thread was removed for a perception that some comments had crossed the line.

I'm also interested to know why "attacks" on public companies are a problem (or maybe it's just this particular public company) but similar attacks on seminar presenters don't seem to be, judging by the Dymphna Boholt thread still being there.

GP

maybe the Dymphna Bolt thread would also be removed if she was a member here :confused:

Hey Rubes, not trying to be a stirrer :rolleyes: but you aren't getting ordered around by Peter's friend Ani are you??? :eek:

BTW, if I started a thread with a link to this pdf

http://www.nsxa.com.au/ftp/news/021719449.PDF

and stuck it in caveat emptor, and then asked others to comment on their experiences with that company, would that be ok??????

After all, it is about a property company, and this is a property forum :p

And the contents of the pdf are on the public record and would be highly educational to many newbies [and true believers].....

sort of give potential investors an idea of how things can get pear shaped real quick when investing in companies with no history.......and how important it is to allow for a risk premium when considering investing in such.....

Somersoft is first and foremost a property forum and although other subjects can be discussed in the Coffee Lounge. Certain discussions fall within the boundaries of “No Go Areas”…..this includes attacks on Public Companies.

After Admin/Mod discussions it was decided that due to certain comments made, it was best to remove the thread.

Hopefully members understand the reasoning behind its removal.

Ruby :)

"Attack" i hadn't even started!!!

I wouldv'e thought that a public company was open to MORE scrutiny then private companies?

Particularly one which wouldve accrued a few investors from this forum no doubt.

God help anyone that ever says anything about my private company...i'm straight to you Ruby!!!

Sure remove the thread...but maybe i just saved someone a few bob along the way...(remember my comments have no financial reward...and i hardly think fox property will be referrring me work!!!) PS - Thats ok...i do ok.

Interesting post WinstonWolfe...i saw that link a half hour on google...guess they cant take that one down...

Regards

maybe the Dymphna Bolt thread would also be removed if she was a member here :confused:
There were some inferences about Dymphna, who is a private person.

There were some very specific things said about a publicly listed company.

There are differences.

There were some inferences about Dymphna, who is a private person.

There were some very specific things said about a publicly listed company.

There are differences.

Geoffw .
I am not sure what you are inferring.

Are you saying that comments made about a public company need to be treated differently to that made about an individual?

I do believe you guys have a tough job and generally do a great job.

Last edited:
And what about some of the comments about poor Gavin O'Connor, lol. Even the thread title must fall under the category of "very specific things said".

GP

I guess the thread was pulled after a complaint from Peter Spann. Not a good look for his LIC with average performance being scrutinised on a public forum.

Actually I am happy to stand on my record in this forum.

With over 400 posts to date, many of which have been included in the most read posts of all, and ranked 5 Star I believe I am, as well as all people here, a contributor.

A search in the forum will find many positive and some negative things said about me and my companies. People are entitled to their opinions and I, who engage in public philosophising, have to take the good with the bad when it comes to attention.

In most cases I have respectfully and sometimes forcefully responded to criticism. I have admitted mistakes where appropriate and engaged in debates on wide ranging topics, sometimes changing people’s point of view but always encouraging the main goal of this forum – education.

While there are a lot of “new faces” that I don’t recognise responding here I believe that I have built up, over the last 4 years the respect of many in this forum, even if that respect is only for my willingness to engage in debate on many topics, including my strategies and investments.

Indeed the thread on Fox Invest had continued for many months with many contributors and many different points of view and I responded where appropriate to all those comments – all that was fine.

A post was made that, while described as an “attack” which it may or may not have been, contained information that was untrue, unsubstantiated and potentially false and misleading.

And yes, I did ask for that post to be removed. People’s views on all my activities are fine, even if they do not agree with me – after all that is what a forum is all about, but a line was crossed. However to imply that the Mod’s are unable to make their own decisions, again I think is unjustified. They do a difficult job under difficult circumstances and they do it of their own free time and volition. I think they should be lauded for the job they do and I always appreciate their adjudication and keen eye for detail that has kept this forum as a valuable resource for all investors, not degenerated into the mess that other forums have.

Not only was the post insulting to our investors it was full of errors and non-factual information.

As an investment adviser it is easy to pick on me and the investments I manage and recommend to our clients. And I have not always got it right. Some of our investments have not performed well. But the majority have and I guess that is why we have 12,700 clients all around Australia and have been in business for 21 years.

In this case I am very happy with Fox Invest. While its share price has been adversely affected by illiquidity and recent market movements I reiterate that we believe that Fox Invest is run well to mandate, performance has been above expected, shareholders are largely very happy with our results, and Fox Invest offers an alternative investment that is suitable to some people and may not be suitable to people with a different view on our mandate or structure.

It is a small Listed Investment Company (LIC). It has risks that larger LIC’s do not have. It is suitable for a small number of investors who understand the mandate, agree with it and believe that the risks are appropriate to their investing model.

And finally, almost all public figures who have been contributors here have been criticised to the point of leaving. These people include well respected authorities on their chosen field and strategy and I believe their loss is to the detriment of the forum.

There is little gain for me to post here – we do not sell or market property, the members of the forum are independent investors with little desire for our advice services and very few are clients or interested in being clients.

I contribute because I believe in the goals of the forum, because I believe in education, because Jan was an inspiration to me when I was starting out and because I believe in encouraging people to achieve their dreams. I respect the contributions of many, many people here, even those who have debated me strongly (like Bill L.). Those people have held their views, intelligently and with excellent knowledge and wisdom debated topics without ever resorting to mistruth and vindictive criticism. And I will continue to encourage that type of discussion regardless of if it supports me, my philosophies and indeed my companies.

As I have said, discussion and even strong, well moderated and measured debate is fine, but personal attacks and vendettas will only lead to the disintegration of this forum and lose this extraordinarily valuable resource forever. Easy to criticise, MUCH harder to do.

It is disappointing to have an entire threat deleted because of a misleading post by one. Seems to be a pattern emerging where everyone else misses out due to the unthinking attacks by one.
Penalise the "one", not the "all".

While there are a lot of “new faces” that I don’t recognise responding here I believe that I have built up, over the last 4 years the respect of many in this forum, even if that respect is only for my willingness to engage in debate on many topics, including my strategies and investments.

Peter, I've got to pull you up on this. You posted just yesterday in a thread how you are not willing to debate the merits of your strategy.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39619&page=5

So, maybe you're not so willing to engage in debate..

Many people probably did not see the offending posts which were only written a short time prior to the thread removal. They were rather over the top. As to removal of problem posts vs whole thread removal, I don't know.........

Peter, I've got to pull you up on this. You posted just yesterday in a thread how you are not willing to debate the merits of your strategy.
So, maybe you're not so willing to engage in debate..

With respect, if you are going to be that pedantic, what I said was "I'm not about to debate the merits of the strategy but the mechanics of the strategy was that it was always for 12 months."

Saying I am not "about" to debate something indicates timing and context not willingness.

You are taking the comment out of context. The discussion was about the mechanics of the strategy, not the merits of it. Moreover I had commented in two posts previously about the perceived merits of it. In my previous post I had said that I believe it was well debated in another thread.

To debate it again, especially when the other thread was so widely read, participated in and structured, would be redundant.

As an investment adviser it is easy to pick on me and the investments I manage and recommend to our clients. And I have not always got it right. Some of our investments have not performed well. But the majority have and I guess that is why we have 12,700 clients all around Australia and have been in business for 21 years.

Thats funny....yesterday it was 27,000!!! No wonder there so much misinformation out there....

Regards

Back