remove telephone socket

I have a telephone socket which would be located behind a proposed splashback in the kitchen (due to extension of benchtop to be a breakfast bar). I wish to remove it/relocate it but don't know how.

If I cap it off and then remove the faceplate, would the other lines still work? What about electrical issue?

Any one got any ideas?

Thanks.

Is the house on piers or slab...?
On piers you should be able to go under and find the cable and run it wherever you want.
If on a slab then it should go up into the roofing and run to it's various installation point from there.
If not then I can't help any further.

By cap it off do you mean take off cover and leave in wall?

If so then all other lines will work as long as you dont disconnect any cables or short together.

to relocate it just use scotch locks and join cables and run to where you need to.

No electrical issues just don't touch wires when phone rings:)

Dave

I dont think people not in the industry know what scotch locks are.

Just disconnect it, tape up the ends well with insulation tape and stick it back in the wall. Should be ok.

Your probably right.

My advice was if he needed to relocate the phone point.

Scotch locks can be bought from any hardware store or electrical wholesaler.

I dont think people not in the industry know what scotch locks are.

Just disconnect it, tape up the ends well with insulation tape and stick it back in the wall. Should be ok.

You would never say that for electrical wiring. It's just as illegal to DIY telephones.

With electrical, i'm more concerned with the safety issue. Telephone wiring is 50v DC, no worries.

And its not 'just as illegal', its a different regulatory act.

You would never say that for electrical wiring. It's just as illegal to DIY telephones.

Back