Remove the oil smell after floor polishing

I just had the timber floor polished but the oil smell is too strong even 4 days passed. Do you know how to get rid of this smell?

Have heard leaving a few buckets of water will help absorb the fumes. Not sure if it works....haven't personally tried it.

Regards
Marty

I have heard that leaving cut onions around a room will absorb the smell of paint, but don't know if it works, or if it would help with floor coating.

I suppose for a few dollars you could give it a try.

I know that the first time we had a floor sanded and coated, we could "taste" the stuff in the food from the fridge (or so we thought). We threw out the butter and anything not sealed, only to realise that it was not in the food but in our mouths and noses, and it was affecting how things tasted.

Horrible stuff, that floor coating.

I have heard that putting kitty litter down absorbs paint smells, do not know if it would work for this.

You could try all of the remedys advised........lol

We have always used water based, costs a bit more but much better in that regard. My OH has just layed down floorboards at my parents' house and got his contacts to coat with water based. My parents were rather pleased as there was no smell at all.

Time-

What you are smelling are the VOC's.
This is short for Volatile Organic Compounds, and is one of the scourges of building in an environmentally safe manner.
Unfortunately there is no "Effective" way of removing the smell, as the product used will continue to "Gas off" for a limited period of time.
Your best bet (Apart from not using the product in the future) is to open all of the windows, and get as much air circulating as possible.
Use a push-pull system with a pair of fans, one near an opening, and the other directing airflow towards it.
There are products that will absorb the smell to a lesser degree, but the only effective treatment is time and airflow.

good luck!

A guy at work recently had an extension done on his property inclusive of new floorboards, they used some swedish concoction where ther was no oily smell for days afterwards..he's as happy as a pig in mud

Back