Removing a door knob

Hi All
I have Gainsborough crystal sonata door knobs that l want to replace.
There is no screws or clips to release the plate so l can get to the barrel mechanism to remove the entire thing.
You know its called the base or back plate and it usually has a snap on/ screw on cover plate.
It doesn,t seem to want to screw or twist off either.
I rang Gainsborough but the person who is gonna call hasn,t.
Went online and got the installation instructions but they dont show what l want.
Any clues my fellow renovators and DIY ers?
cheers
yadreamin

Thankyou Sir.
I just got that lot of instructions and from what l can see there is 3 twist grooves that the knob assembly twists onto, but l am buggared if l know how to get it to twist as the plate is firmly hard against the door.
I have a set of goose neck plyers and they just cannot get a grip plus l am starting to mark the door.[more painting]
any hints
cheers
yadreamin

The knob and the coverplate have a thread on them which screws into the female thread that is attached to the door by the two screws that go through the door to the one on the other side.

If you don't want the one your taking off, you can drill a hole near the outside diameter, and insert a screwdriver to tap with a hammer to increase leverage, that should get it loose.

ok l still have a door :D
I found that the cover plates do twist and while l twist one side l had to hold the oposite side so it didnt twist it too a bit of effort but l won in the end now only 8 more doors to go:eek:
Thanks for the ooo response
its beer o clock now
cheers
yadreamin

The knob and the coverplate have a thread on them which screws into the female thread that is attached to the door by the two screws that go through the door to the one on the other side.

If you don't want the one your taking off, you can drill a hole near the outside diameter, and insert a screwdriver to tap with a hammer to increase leverage, that should get it loose.

bloody hell, do they make things this complicated and difficult on purpose ?

If it doesn't twist by hand, simply get one of those silicon cloths that people use to undo jars, put that around the coverplate and use a pair of multi-grips.

Voila.

Hi All
I have Gainsborough crystal sonata door knobs that l want to replace.
There is no screws or clips to release the plate so l can get to the barrel mechanism to remove the entire thing.
You know its called the base or back plate and it usually has a snap on/ screw on cover plate.
It doesn,t seem to want to screw or twist off either.
I rang Gainsborough but the person who is gonna call hasn,t.
Went online and got the installation instructions but they dont show what l want.
Any clues my fellow renovators and DIY ers?
cheers
yadreamin

this'll get the b.a.s.t.a.r.d. off!

Attachments

• sledge hammer 1.JPG
    sledge hammer 1.JPG
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,824
Back