Removing a Pool?

Hey guys. I have a friend with a in ground concrete pool that they would like to get removed.

I know they need to fill in a council form to allow the work to be done but do you know the costs of getting someone to remove and infill it?

Or who do i contact to do the work?

Cheers.

Hi there
just a suggestion - why not use the space from the concrete pool as a water tank.
You do need council permission to discharge water into the sewerage system and would suspect a demolition permit will be required.
I note that we had a pool removed for around $500 at the time of the Canberra bushfires - but the demolishing experts were on site removing the rest of the material on the block.
thanks

most i have seen just fill it in and i am not sure about council permits etc,

Would that be a stability issue? Is there special conditions need to be met when doing this? (special materials?)

Hi there
just a suggestion - why not use the space from the concrete pool as a water tank.
You do need council permission to discharge water into the sewerage system and would suspect a demolition permit will be required.
I note that we had a pool removed for around $500 at the time of the Canberra bushfires - but the demolishing experts were on site removing the rest of the material on the block.
thanks

Some people have told them it would costs thousands to remove which is why i asked here ;)

Last edited:
Who would they approach to do the work? If its as easy as removing the concrete then filling it in with soil my friend can do it themselves.

to just fill it in break holes in the bottem so water doue not pool lol,
and fill, if you leave it empty it could float out like a big boat,
To remove you need and excavator = rock hammer, but they will just leave the material in and fill it over bit like rocks,
easiest way is to contact a pool company as they have lots of fill they need to get rid of and they pay when it goes to the tip, and their bobcat can fill it.

to just fill it in break holes in the bottem so water doue not pool lol,
and fill, if you leave it empty it could float out like a big boat,
To remove you need and excavator = rock hammer, but they will just leave the material in and fill it over bit like rocks,
easiest way is to contact a pool company as they have lots of fill they need to get rid of and they pay when it goes to the tip, and their bobcat can fill it.

LOL so you dont even need to get top quality soil to fill it in? :p

Thats what im going to tell them, break the concrete on the bottom of the pool so it drains so they dont have to remove all the concrete.

Do your friends have any idea how hard it would be to remove several tonnes of concrete with reinforcing mesh themselves :eek:

correct! just break the hole in it, although a rock hammer, to remove the top two feet would be an idea, and throw it in.

We 'removed' an old rainwater tank by knocking in the edge wall to just below ground level and filling it with rubble from cutting our doorways through last year. Finished filling it with dirt, gravelled over the top and now it is a lovely outdoor area. More use now, the damn thing used to leak like a sieve. But we had a year (including a flood) to settle in the fill, it really dropped over that year, without compaction if you do it yourself you'll get sunken ground.

Back