Removing a tree to add a granny flat

I have a property in holroyd council that I'd like to add a granny flat to. There is a tree to the side of the existing house, less than a mtre from the fence line that would need to go. I think it is a gum or something similar.

Do I have buckleys of getting permission to remove it? I read the DCP that states that a tree may be removed for the purposes of development but wondered if this is the exception rather than the norm?

I've just had to have the top of a big gum tree lopped off- cost is $700. It would hav been $1200 to remove it.

There was little chance to shop around as most tradies are still on break.

Only one way to find out ... ring them up and ask!

I did call the council and I have to file an application for removal and wait 4-6 weeks for an answer. Property is currently vacant so isn't ideal to wait that long for a response and potentially cut off part of the yard to the new tenant part way into their lease.

I have a good arborist on the ready but I'd say that if I had him remove the tree illegally the neighbours would say something once they heard about the granny flat application.

If you do not meet any of the exemption criteria from removal then the application will be your any way forward. You probably need to come up with a reason other than building the granny flat.

We were able to remove a large tree because of its species (liquidamber) and because it was blocking the drains.

Knowing and researching the species of the tree might help in coming up with a separate reason to remove it.

Back