Removing a wall in a unit

Hi, I want to remove a wall in a unit that I own (the unit is in Brisbane, older style, 125mm brick internal). I spoke with an Engineer and he told me that he can create the plan for the removal, which I will need to supply to the trade who will cut out the wall itself.

I think that the wall is non-load bearing (The unit downstairs did the same thing). They actually left a small part of the wall in place.

Anyway the engineer asked if I could get structural or any other plans for the block. Any ideas on what the best way is to get these and where from?

If its non-load bearing, as far as I understand this does not require council approval. Anyone done a similar thing?

Thanks,
Panda

Did you receive a floor plan when purchasing?

Could strata/body corp have a copy? Are they going to need to grant approval for this?

Cheers

Jamie

As the building is old it is unlikely that plans will be easy to get.

It's unlikely that bc will have plans of the building. You might be able to get a plan if the agent you bought from put an advert on the Internet otherwise council may have copies from the DA.

BC will have to approve the wall removal and you will need a DA/CC

Had this issue come up in a block that I own. 70s build, BC did not have the structural plans.

Owner got an engineer to do the design. Since he did not have the structural plans, he did the design as if it were a load-bearing wall even though he was of the opinion that it probably wasn't. If you don't know for sure, then you need to assume it is.

Internal walls most certainly belong to the body corporate. You will need at least body corporate approval do this, and in general BCs don't seem to like approving this sort of thing. This particular case ended up in court.

I have built (WORKED ON AS TA) MURD with owner-proof designs
no internal-to-the-unit structural walls
no necessary utilities in internal-to-the-unit walls
one of the muttheads decided to install an external door, and cut the main electrical water and sewer lines in one swoop
bodies corporate really do not like structure changes

"The unit downstairs did the same thing" When you think it is non-load bearing and when you are sure it is non-load bearing, are very different.
Your engineer is being cautious, sign of a good one.
Un-cautious engineering, means your upstairs neighbour's living room ends up in your downstairs neighbour's living room.
You, particularly, want a copy of the downstairs neighbour's engineering certificate for the wall removal.
If the upstairs neighbour winds up in the downstairs neighbour's living room, you are hard pressed (pressed flat) to prove it wasn't your doing
Any load (if any) is currently being dispersed through your wall to the edges, and not supported underneath, could be a sneeze away from Jenga

archeaology dig conducted by surviving resident (upstairs neighbour): floor, couch, downstairs neighbour, ceiling, floor, couch, you, ceiling, floor, couch

Thanks for everyone's input.

I havnt had the time to chase this yet. Based on some of the comments, its like anything really there are always a million things that can go wrong. So I'm not too concerned with that. Ill just tick off all the boxes, get the correct permissions, cover myself as much as possible and move on. If it ends up that the unit collapses/implodes (doubtful) then that will be crap and what will happen will happen.

As far as finding the structural drawings, ill check back in and let you know how I go.

Thanks again,
Panda

Back