Removing big trees

I have 2 natives and 1 non-native that is over 5m tall in the backyard that needs to go - it's putting too many leaves into my gutters and also the roots are blocking my sewers every several months.

What are the changes I can get them removed with approval?

If I can't do it by the book, what do people actually do to get rid of trees without running into trouble?

What council are you in? They recently relaxed the rules around tree removal within specified boundaries you didn't need permission. I know on the northern beaches there was a boom in the tree felling game and the currency of cases!

If you have valid points it may be fairly simple, just depends what mood council is in on the day i guess!

You need to check the rules on your council website.

We have had to remove a few and have been able to get permission to remove based on :

- species of tree (each council has a separate list).

- location of the tree (eg within 3 metres of a building).

- health of the tree.

- safety of the tree eg shallow rooted)

in most instances you have plant a replacement tree, but you can pick the location.

Below is a link to the exemptions to the Bankstown Council tree preservation orders.

Most councils are similar to this.

http://www.bankstown.nsw.gov.au/index.aspx?NID=775

also check out the 10/50 rule from RFS, may not apply in your area - but it means we can now get rid of a tree we couldn't before our house was built...stupid laws! We could have dropped it before the house was built for next to nothing, now it will cost many thousands.

I have heard that councils include verge trees as assets, a typical large tree being valued at around $50k. I knew a guy that chopped down a beautiful gum tree for no reason other than dropping too many leaves... was no where near his house. I think it's tragic.

I have 2 natives and 1 non-native that is over 5m tall in the backyard that needs to go - it's putting too many leaves into my gutters and also the roots are blocking my sewers every several months.

What are the changes I can get them removed with approval?

If I can't do it by the book, what do people actually do to get rid of trees without running into trouble?

In north shore area many neighbours have been cutting even my neighbour, I must say she improved my view. When I asked her whether it was allowable she said she left it to the company chopping to inform her and abide by the laws. Surprisingly, many native huge trees were chopped an nobody objected.
After the storm, the Jacaranda to the left broke huge branches, needed to be chopped down, to the right neighbours chopped other trees too. So now, it is a bit weird as the outlook is so open but I still hear lots of chain saw companies around.
I suggest ringing the council and asking what the current laws are for your area!

In north shore area many neighbours have been cutting even my neighbour, I must say she improved my view. When I asked her whether it was allowable she said she left it to the company chopping to inform her and abide by the laws. Surprisingly, many native huge trees were chopped an nobody objected.
After the storm, the Jacaranda to the left broke huge branches, needed to be chopped down, to the right neighbours chopped other trees too. So now, it is a bit weird as the outlook is so open but I still hear lots of chain saw companies around.
I suggest ringing the council and asking what the current laws are for your area!

Pretty sure that's not right! Owners tree, owners responsibility

Back