Removing Ceiling Roses

Hi All,

Has anyone had experience in removing ceiling roses from ceilings?

If possible, I would like to do it without tearing the ceiling apart, leaving a minimal amount of repair work for a platerer.

The ceiling is one where plaster was jammed between and over timber battens. The house was built in 1906.

Thanks

Glenn

how to remove ceiling rose

glenn

i just removed one of these disgusting things from my ceiling. they have their place, but not in a mediteranian home. though i do alsohave art deco ones that i dont mind. but they are all coming down. i dont have the timber/plaster ceiling like yours,

but what i did was get a chisel and a hammer, moving around the the rose i placed the chisel at the edge where the ceiling rose and ceiling met. i lightly tapped the chisel with the hammer. the ceiling didnot rip/tear or anything like that. you could possible prop the ceiling rose with timber etc, as an extra precaution against tearing the ceiling, or get a volunteer or two to stand there and hold it.

good luck

Hi Glenn. It sounds like your ceiling is lathe and plaster. Are you really sure the rose should come down? It is an original feature and original features are still acceptable in contemporary designs. Original roses in reasonable condition add value.

From my experience, they are simply stuck on with plaster, so if its coming off, chip it and sand it.

I suppose it is personal taste.
I just remember many hours I spent traipsing around salvage yards trying to find roses so we could put them back. It took years before they were being made new in Perth , so that you could buy them more easily. Plus new ones aren't as nice as old ones.

Why don't you call Cape Demolition and ask how they remove them? They might even buy it from you. I know they generally tend to break, but sometimes they are repairable too, so someone may be interested.

Had experience recently with roses and cornices on lath n plaster
There are two kinds
the ordinary kind, where a factory made rose was glued to the ceiling with plaster, and one where a plasterer stood up on a ladder and swiped a cutout shape loaded with plaster around and around, building up layers until the shape was completed.
The first comes off easy,just chip the plaster glue from behind.
The second is more fragile, but can be cut away with a strip of metal pack strap, the strapping from around a brick delivery is knife enough to cut it, (and long enough to cut in one piece) and saved for resale, they seem to be in demand for renos

Back