Removing clothes line - help

I have an removable hills hoist (one of these http://www.hillshome.com.au/our-product/rotary-7-hoist-clotheslines/) in my backyard.
I want to remove it temporarily.

Now it appears its been installed correctly, its got the ground socket (https://www.breezedryer.com/index.php?p=product&id=262) which you twist and can pull out.

However over time, it looks like sand has got trapped in the ground socket making it extremely hard to remove.

I'm 99% sure its not cemented in because with a lot of force we are able to move the pole by about 100mm, but its obviously a lot deeper.

I've tried using an air compressor to blow out as much sand as possible, its helped a little, but not enough.

Are there any suggestions or tips as to what i do to loosen this up so I can pull the hills hoist out?

I really don't want to take an angle grinder to it (because that would leave a hole that I can't cover up)

Interesting one, perhaps something to make it slippery, lots of olive oil or detergent wouldn't pollute the soil or kill the grass. Let it all soak right in, maybe a few hours or overnight even.

Then get a fulcrum and a lever, wrap a rope around the pole and the lever and lever upwards .......

Might work :)

I temporarily removed a hills hoist for someone about a month ago. sounds like the same problem, couldn't lift the upright poll from the base section which was concreted in. Ended up digging around the concrete and then used two steel bars to lever it out of the hole and dragged it to a temp location, then dragged it back after and threw some dirt back around it.

Requires some work but saved the line. Had no luck with WD40 either.

You want to take it out of the ground socket and it won't come out?

There will be mud and water that has gotten down the bottom most likely and created a lovely suctiony cement.

Do you have a jack? Very very carefully put it between the handle bit and the bottom collar and gently gently raise it mm by mm. It has to come out extremely vertically or it won't

There is also a pin on some models.

Cheers for the ideas guys... the only thing i got is a car jack.

You guys reckon if i get two pieces of timber and drill it into the pole i can use two car jacks and push it out?

Cheers for the ideas guys... the only thing i got is a car jack.

You guys reckon if i get two pieces of timber and drill it into the pole i can use two car jacks and push it out?

Should work.
Or just drill a hole on each side of the post and pass a solid rod through the post, protruding each side, to jack up evenly.

Pretty sure you have to turn the main pole left or right a bit to allow the locating pin to come up thru a slot in the socket, before lifting. ;)

Cheers Ace.
Ended up doing something similar... except i just got my brother in law to help :)

hzjzqqsbeci15jypoznz.jpg

Pretty sure you have to turn the main pole left or right a bit to allow the locating pin to come up thru a slot in the socket, before lifting. ;)

Nope that wasn't the issue.
As WM said, it was "mud and water that has gotten down the bottom most likely and created a lovely suctiony cement."

Back