Removing curry smells and showing new tenants around is this crazy?.

Someone is showing an apartment to prospective tenants.

I went there and the windows were open and i could not smell anything and i have a very strong sense of smell so i dont feel they should tell the tenants that there is a curry smell that they are working to get rid of.

They were cutting up onions and putting them around saying it removes curry smells and they were planning to keep the cut onions and other stuff around and explain to prospective renters that cut onions are meant to remove smells and they they are trying to get rid of the curry smell.
that they will steam clean, cleaning, and paint and make sure the smell is removed.

I didnt smell anything so personally i dont think they should say anything
and i definitely dont feel they should leave cut onions and other things around while showing the apartment.
its bad enough its a mess with old furniture, and dirty carpets with flaked paint all over the carpets possibly from painters starting to do their work

If it was me i'd want it as tidy as possible, vaccumed, and no cut onions or other evidence around and dont tell them anything. I was there and you cant smell it and after paintng cleaning steam cleaning they will make sure you cant smell it.
What do you think about
1 removing curry smells
2 having cut onions and other things lying around while showing prospective renters the apartment and telling them its meant to remove curry smells.
3 telling them there is a curry smell even though i was there and you cant smell it and telling them it will be out before they are there .

Anyway this has totally convinced me never to entertain the prospect of easily working together with others to invest in property as situations like this would drive me nuts.

Last edited:
Thankyou. Its even easier, simply boil some coffee or cinamon sticks or vanilla

or just spray the fabreze and the no vac carpet deoderizer that i brought him. but seriously with the windows open when i arrived there was no smell.

They are going to paint steam clean clean and make sure there wont be a smell so i dont think they should leave cut onions around and tell people all about it.

He says some rich lady told him cut onions removes smell.

but i'm sure noone would tell him to have cut onions around when you are showing prospective renters the place. In my opinion i believe He is wasting his time and chances for renting the place by showing prospective renters the place if he's making the place look so unplalatable with cut onions lying around and explanations of they remove curry smells . Especially when there isnt a smell when i was there though the windows were open windows open and they are about to paint steam clean clean and assure theres no smell.

A friend joked and said to tell them the cut onions are to keep the vampires away.

have them bake a loaf of bread or a spice cake in the oven....

cut onions is a stupid idea

Actually it isn't a stupid idea at all. Cut onions are known to absorb bacteria and are good for odours. Obviously I wouldn't recommend leaving them out during a viewing bit it is not a stupid idea

Hi

Leave all the windows and doors open as often as possible.

Bring in a bucket of bicarb of soda and leave it for a week or so.

If it is really strong, it might be time to sugar soap the walls, repaint, recarpet and new curtains etc.

Regards,

alicudi

If its really bad a portable ozone generator, incidentally if anyone needs to rent one in perth or buy one australia wide i can supply through a busineas of mine purus

If its minor just airing it, something like the onions to absorb bacteria and then just a good clean i guess

http://www.purustech.com.au/phone/azure-ozone-generators.html

Are you suggesting to purchase a commercial ozone generator for a possibly one-time residential use?

Are you suggesting to purchase a commercial ozone generator for a possibly one-time residential use?

No I'm not suggesting buying 1 immediately, I did mention hiring one as I believe a few people now rent them out. Kathryn herself has mentioned using this for her rentals, it is remarkably good at odour elimination.

For a really bad place or someone with multiple properties it could potentially be worth buying one but it all comes down to the numbers I guess.

I myself didn't know about this option until I got involved with this business so I figured it might be a useful suggestion to some people

Last edited by a moderator:
The only way to get rid of curry smell is to burn the place down. I've been trying to find a solution for years.

Hodge, I know it may not be the whole answer, but the last time I couldn't get rid of food smells in a house, I took apart the rangehood. I cleaned not only the filter but the internal parts as well, which were caked in grease. It took me a few goes but it helped a lot. There is a product that works really well on grease. I can't remember the name of it. It works wonders on rangehood filters.

I am talking about curry issues--are you? No, so it is you that is trolling. If you want to start up a thread about trolling go right ahead, but leave this one if you can't stick to the topic.

Sorry, but a cut up onion does not remove even a MINOR (seeing as you love your caps) curry smell.

Actually, If you care to try - type 'using onion...............' in google and see what comes up!

pinkboy

Sorry, but a cut up onion does not remove even a MINOR curry smell.

Onions help slightly and in combination with everything else with do its bit.

Do some research on how onions absorb bacteria, ultimately that's what ozone machines do, they kill bacteria although on an obviously much larger scale.

It's the same reason people recommend putting a cut lemon or onion in a fridge if it stinks.

Property Girl,

Raw onions, after a while smell like Body Odor.....maybe they like that smell.

Ewwww....

curry, esters oils vegetable extracts
paint: paint;

exactly the same thing for sure

smarties can replace birth control pills, they're the same shape

possible personal attack removed
shallow end of the gene pool

We had an old house for several years (sold now) that always smelled of "old lady", much worse when it was closed up. Every opportunity I had between tenants I placed cut onions, lit candles etc. This house had nothing which could absorb any smells, but when we bought it, was full of horrible carpet and had been rented to a couple who smoked for 15 years. The walls had to be sugar soaped, as they were orange with nicotine.

Even repainting didn't budge the slightly stale, sickly sweet smell. I think it was probably in the floorboard cracks? Maybe old doggy smell, ciggy smell, cooking... who knows?

It was just a general stale smell, not horrible, but not nice.

We learned the onion trick over 20 years ago when a painter told us to place cut onions to absorb paint smells.

Nothing worked with this house.

I had some tenants who left a mild curry smell (slightly noticeable but nothing major). I gave the kitchen / lounge a paint (it would have been due in a few years anyway) and came up great.

If you don't need to paint maybe a thorough sugar soap / clean of the walls could assist.

Back