Removing fireplace

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the approx costs of removing a fireplace?

I've just been notified that the fireplace in an IP I'm purchasing is an unapproved structure. I'm sure there are implications with renting out a house with an unapproved fireplace :(

Couple of days and a mini skip. Really depends on how big your fireplace is and what it's made from. The only problems I had with the last one was the 120mm thick bit of slate that was 6ft x 2.5ft and about 150kg.

If your not going to do the work yourself you will probably have trouble finding someone to do it. Really you need to be looking at the labourer / handyman market.

How to:
If brick, remove chimney down to below roof line and fix roof. (other option is ignore chimney)
Remove bricks back to wall level and brick up your wall, then plaster or gyprock over it to make it tidy and paint.

Regards
Graeme

Thinking about it, there is such a huge variation in fireplace. Really need a picture of it to see how big it is, what it's made like.

The cheap option is board it up or brick it up so you just have the structure sticking out the wall but it's nice and flat so you get rid of the space, the shelf above it and end up with nice flat walls but with the structure jutting out from the wall on either side of it.

Price is going to be between $300 - $1500, depends on who does it, how long it takes.

Regards
Graeme

Combustion heater makes a difference.

I would get council to approve it. Didn't know that adding a heater could be an unapproved structure. Who told you it was unapproved?

They have done a nice neat job of it and it seems to work / fit / be attractive / good addition to the house so I would be keeping it and getting everything sorted out so it's OK / legit.

You can sell the heater, on the second hand market they sell well for nice $$.

Cheers
Graeme

The REA sent me updated sales instructions that stipulated the fireplace was an unapproved structure. I don't mind keeping it - I'm just worried about the liability issues if its rented out.

Price is going to be between $300 - $1500, depends on who does it, how long it takes.

Regards
Graeme

I would be thinking at least twice that amount-would take a good 2-3 days work for 2-3 men....Its a big job, trust me Ive done it..urghhhhh

Can you talk to the council, pay fees, get someone to inspect it and get a retrospective approval? If it is well constructed and up to standard but not approved this would sound like the best option.

Hi,
We have an old fireplace in our property as well..A gas heater has been fitted into it ..We wanted to get rid of the heater and patch up the wall as it really limits the space of our lounge room...
We had a tradesman come and have a look at it and he quoted about 500$ for the job....But we would have to do the painting...

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows the approx costs of removing a fireplace?

I've just been notified that the fireplace in an IP I'm purchasing is an unapproved structure. I'm sure there are implications with renting out a house with an unapproved fireplace :(

give me a call and i will have it quoted and out in three days, and yes they are dirty and dangerous.

Back