Removing floor tiles from timber sub-floor

Assuming my bank and conveyancer don't keep losing paperwork, I pick up the keys to my first place on Monday (yay! And this forum has been great!).

Then it's all hands on deck; the move comes 2 weeks after, so I'm painting (decided to do it myself instead of hiring somebody) before that, making for a busy few weeks. Getting floorboards installed Thursday week (bamboo), but the only problem is, part of the area is tiled.

So, we want to remove the tiles (otherwise there would be a ridge in the middle of the floor. 'Toestubber', as I believe they're known....).

The house is on stumps, so it'd be a timber subfloor.

Looking around online, people seem to do well with just a rotary hammer drill to chip away underneath, and prying bits up with a shovel, maybe a small sledgehammer to break anything up.

Now, if we're lucky the tile underlay could come up in big chunks and not be cemented down and the nails will be easy to remove. Or it could be glued and the glue could have bonded strongly to the timber subfloor.

From what I gather, tiles could be stuck down any number of ways. Quotes seem to indicate about $700 from tile removal companies for about 20sq m, so trying to do it ourselves.

So, any thoughts or advice on removing tiles?

Are we likely to need to do any further prep work for the floorboard installation? This is really the main job that has me a little concerned at the moment....

Back