removing internal wall

Cool. I lodged a job on the MBAV site and sent some enquiries, hopefully someone calls!

Anyone care to ballpark/guesstimate the $$ damage? Wall is pretty small...the timber/lintel shouldnt be longer then 3m and I can diy repair/paint/ plaster/tile!

just get a builder to work it out

he'll organize the permits etc.

it doesn't look load bearing but if it is he can organize to get a beam put in for you to remove the walls.

the 1st thing the engineer will tell you is to get some structural drawings from council or something of that sort and then he will look at it.. and then $600 thank you. otherwise if he is going to come and inspect etc.. be expecting above $1000

just get a builder to work it out

he'll organize the permits etc.

it doesn't look load bearing but if it is he can organize to get a beam put in for you to remove the walls.

the 1st thing the engineer will tell you is to get some structural drawings from council or something of that sort and then he will look at it.. and then $600 thank you. otherwise if he is going to come and inspect etc.. be expecting above $1000

:eek: I cried a little.

Going on the red line in pic three, it is load bearing, (supporting the ceiling joists and ceiling) and the wall would actually be to the left of the red line under where the ceiling joists join.

id hardly call ceiling battens a load, what your looking for are members that support your roof.

replacing a section of the ceiling when you rip out that wall isnt a big drama, but needs to be factored into the cost.

From looking at the pics, you have a couple of roof trusses near there, get a beam about the same size at that one to the left, remove some roof tiles, shove it in, bolt it to the roof beams, add a few more bits of pine because the joins look a bit too far left of where the beam will go, some big screws and screw the pine onto the beam, screw some more pine onto the pine to strenghten the join in them, rip out the wall, bit of ceiling board (gyproc), flush it, sand it, paint it. Your done.

The pine batten are only holding the ceiling in place, the join in them is probably above the wall, you just need a beam strong enough to take the ceiling weight

Considering I'm not a builder/carpenter/etc this is just what I'd do, based on experience. Reality could be different to the pics.

I'd still advice getting a chippy to do the work, if you can find one who is willing.

Cheers
Graeme

Going on the red line in pic three, it is load bearing, (supporting the ceiling joists and ceiling) and the wall would actually be to the left of the red line under where the ceiling joists join.

id hardly call ceiling battens a load, what your looking for are members that support your roof.

There are no ceiling battens visible in the pics and I didn't mention them.

Clearly from pic three, the ceiling joists have an overlap join between the two rooms and this would be supported by the internal wall.

The wall is in part supporting the weight of the ceiling joists themselves plus the weight of the ceiling lining and insulation.

There is also an under purlin strut shown in the pics, where is this supported?

hard to tell without looking in there myself, but I dont think they are ceiling joists as they dont appear to tie the rafters together and look like they are only there to hold the ceiling up.

Attachments

• roofing 101.JPG
    roofing 101.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 124
but I dont think they are ceiling joists as they dont appear to tie the rafters together
Ceiling joist don't always tie the rafters together, particularly where the roof slopes in two directions,
and look like they are only there to hold the ceiling up.
And what holds them up when the supporting wall is removed?

What you have called a ceiling joist indicated in the pic in your post is a hanging beam not a ceiling joist, it supports the load on the center of the ceiling joists while the outer ends are supported by the walls, one of which is the wall in question.

Unless another hanging beam is installed above where the wall is removed, it won't comply with BCA rules and could be downright dangerous.

Attachments

• Hanging beam.jpg
    Hanging beam.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,522
battler excellent pic...right-click save-image! Clears up the lingo to use with the builders too.

I feel like I could build support for the Ceiling joists myself.

Back