Removing old oil heater, anything I should know?

I plan on ripping out this old oil heater and converting it back to an open fireplace

PicasaUp

PicasaUp

I plan on just taking to it with a crowbar... Anything I should know?

buster, the fan is a plugin, cable on the right of the hearth- unplugged

Ergophobia, Have a bunch of oil furnaces,

there is oil left in the lines, and tank(very little but its there) it spreads hugely
when any leaks,
the epa goes nuts,

carefully drain the lines and tank, and have a lot of 'kitty litter' (dunno if it is kitty litter, the furnace techs call the absorbent kitty litter) on hand JustInCase

heating oil is diesel fuel, there is no distinction between 10000L spilled around a petrol station in-ground tank, and half a cup spilled when dismantling the heater, may be considered an A class contamination, that is an expensive fix
all it takes is someone to notice an oil odour any time the smell remains (if there is a leak)

I noted in the picture that the line runs uphill from the tank to the hole thrugh the wall, there is likely as much oil in the tank as the height of that line

I noted the oil line punches through the chimney, makes the chimney a nogo for directly putting an open fire, probably a liner up the inside, easy-peasy to do, but merely patching the hole with cement/silicone/sealer/anything would last very little before the chimney weakened.
s/steel liner & fireplace insert would likely increase the effectiveness of the fireplace, open fires suck -for efficiency (edit:: but are gorgeous)

edit2: gemtec are one of our local cleanup compamies, they do our environmental assessments, the image of the backhoe digging out tonnes of earth, 5row left, was a small oil spill, they had to make sure they got it all, friends spilled 70L, from leaking drain tap, $100 000 epa cleanup
(don't spill any)

Last edited:
Thanks Bob

I will be sure to put a pan under the tank when I crack the drain valve at the bottom, and I'll have a spill kit on hand when removing the fuel line.

I'm guessing there could also be some asbestos in behind there somewhere, so I'll wear a mask and have a hose on hand to wet down anything that looks suspect when removing the flue.

Hubby pulled out such a heater and oil leaked back in under the carpet somehow and up through the carpe, shocking mess to clean up. I think there must have still been oil in the heater itself and it leaked out through one of the pipes he cut

It is actual kitty litter.

Also used in drag racing for mopping up spills when someone's car decides to spit out the gearbox.

unbolt your tank before you remove it :p
i was lucky my heater was already removed i just had to deal with the tank
5 min job and into a trailer of scrap metal problem solved
@Almost bob that looks nice :)
only downside to them is 1. having to cut wood and 2. having room to put the wood and tools inside
what would one of them be worth? i cant see any prices on there even the large isnt wide enough for me

After reading AlmostBob's reply, why not price up getting it removed by someone else who has insurance cover in case anything bad happens :eek:.

Nudge nudge, bump

Ergophobia, what does the fireplace look like now,
I figure enough winter has passe3d that the ideal has been achieved

Back